Who is this guy, anyway? [Private: Jim Lavay]

An indoor general area safe from Grimm monsters and a general place to lounge and dine.
Laurel Wayfarer
4th Semester
Race: Human
Weapon: Clara Transitu
Semblance: Asomatous

Re: Who is this guy, anyway? [Private: Jim Lavay]

Post by Laurel Wayfarer » Sun Mar 26, 2017

“Ya got the bod of a god, Jim. Not sure how else ta say it without ya tryin’ ta leave again.” There were times when she could be serious, though that wasn’t that often nowadays. As he settled himself back onto the bench and went on to talk about a girl who could create vines at will, she raised an eyebrow when he elaborated on his apparent disbelief. Well, there was no denying that comment as she possessed a semblance she hadn’t come across before. Though that didn’t mean much since all people were different and a semblance was unique to the person. “Can’t say I disagree, there are some weird ones out there…” Vines did bring a certain person to mind who had said plant tattooed onto her skin, but that didn’t necessarily mean there was a connection.

His offer of the gym or a more hands on approach were both tempting. She made a sound of consideration and half shrugged her shoulders. “Both sound great, to be fair. I have a good handle on hand-to-hand combat as I had ta learn it as a kid, but an encounter with a real enemy would give me a fair bit of experience. There’s also the fact I need ta test my skills against other people, too.” Laurel sighed, taking a sip of her cooling tea, before meeting his gaze and smiling in return. “Both sound beneficial, if I’m being honest. I wouldn’t mind seein’ how ya train as I’d probably learn a good bit. I need ta keep my form up, using only a weapon constantly could leave me rusty, and from lookin’ at ya… I’d get a good fight.” The usual alluring tone that hinted at innuendo was gone, leaving her voice bubbly and bright. As he went on to state that gifts, flowers in particular, were off limits. Her lips curled in a conspiratorial grin and she waggled her eyebrows at him. “Pray tell, this is a story ya can’t just mention and not continue.”
"Spare a thought for the origin of your adversaries, whomever or whatever they are." #FF3366
Staring never hurt anyone~ #FFDDF4
♪ ♫Signature Song: Fighter♪ ♫
♪ ♫Battle Theme: Warrior Concerto♪ ♫
Laurel Thread List

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Lavay
4th Semester
Weapon: Ruin (Left) and Restoration (Right)
Semblance: Adrenaline Rush (Unending Fury)

Post by Jim Lavay » Wed May 17, 2017

Listening, Jim smiled as Laurel revealed that she could also fight with her hands. "You know I'm surprised how many people never learned to fight unarmed. Out there in the real fight you need to be ready to fight with whatever you have available, and sometimes it's just your fist." Chuckling he thought of a few of the make shift weapons he had used over his time. "...and of course, you get extra points if you can be creative with it." He then winked to the green haired girl as his chuckle turned into a full-blown laugh. "I, uh, one time smashed my fire dust whetstone into my gauntlet when I was disarmed and I beat a Beowolf to death with my fist while it was on fire." It was obvious despite how silly, and potentially dangerous this act was he thoroughly enjoyed telling the story.

Of course, speaking of stories it was obvious that Laurel was interested in Jim's other story about the flowers, and after had asked the follow up question his head sank into his hand as he laughed at himself. "Luckily, everything turned out all right, but another girl that I was helping train. Very innocently wanted to show appreciation in the form of some flowers, and when she got to my dorm I was out and instead my teammate/girlfriend answered." Shaking his head further he planned on make it very clear in the future, so there would be no confusion. "Anyway, they worked it out as it was indeed just innocent thanks, but I feel bad and would like to avoid these situations in the future."

Sitting back in his chair Jim chose to steer the conversation back to the former topic. "Aaannyway... I'd be happy to teach you a few things. What kind of weapon do you use anyway?" Despite his obvious attempt to shift gears his tone was one of clear intent as he did hope to help as many people as possible.
Personal Motto: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and nothing can kill me.
Favorite Quote: Maximum Effort!

Talking: ----- Thinking:

Jim's Theme Song : Indestructible : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A3c2RKTJ4I

Laurel Wayfarer
4th Semester

Post by Laurel Wayfarer » Mon May 29, 2017

With a slight shake of her head, she sighed tiredly as he went on to express his disbelief about the dismal unarmed skills of most students. “Gotta agree. It’s a shame since I think of it like a crutch. What can ya do if ya get knocked away from yer weapon? Or even worse, it gets destroyed? It’s never too late ta learn ta use yer hands, heck even yer feet ta fight.” Not so fond memories of being tossed around the open courtyard of her home made her wince in remembrance. “Earned plenty of bruises and broken bones learnin’ though, but I can say confidently that I can handle myself if I need ta.” Lucky for her, those broken bones had gotten stronger from the abuse and left her in better off, even if her smaller frame made her look weaker than some. It was a bit frightening to consider some of the students at Beacon were smaller than her and were maybe even stronger.

Her eyes brightened as he went on to tell a story of when he had recklessly set his hand on fire in desperation. “Yer a madman, Jim! Just what possessed ya ta think that was a good idea? Effective, can’t deny that...but still! Skies above, whoever is on yer team is gonna have their hands full just keepin’ ya alive with those kinds of ideas floating around in yer head.” Even so, she found herself laughing at the mental image that popped into her head and his own laughter was infectious. It sounded like he got himself into all sorts of trouble just going off that one story...though the next concerning the flowers certainly perked her ears. As it took an even more dramatic turn, her eyebrows shot up while a telling grin formed on her face. “Oooh, but that was a bit awkward for the two involved. Don’t worry, Jim. Not like me ta show up with flowers. Though maybe somethin’ more embarrassin’ for be in the cards…” She winked teasingly at the broad shouldered student. “I’ll be sure ta make it all very platonic in nature so no misunderstandings happen, ‘kay?”

As he shifted the topic back towards the original, she half shrugged her shoulders at his inquiry. “I use a gunsword, not too unique compared to other weapons. But I’m pretty proud of her since I made her myself. A pair of butterfly swords, blade about a foot in length on each, with a .50 caliber pistol mounted on it. The neat thing is the handle can extend to turn her, Clara Transitu is her name, into a polearm. Just a bit of flare added to make her more versatile. What about ya?” Her expression brightened as she spoke about her weapon since she was very proud of how well she had come together. Lots of time had been spent planning and practicing to make sure she’d come together into a respectable weapon.
"Spare a thought for the origin of your adversaries, whomever or whatever they are." #FF3366
Laurel Thread List

Jim Lavay
4th Semester
Weapon: Ruin (Left) and Restoration (Right)
Semblance: Adrenaline Rush (Unending Fury)

Post by Jim Lavay » Sat Jun 17, 2017

"Heh, yup had plenty of those and worse. I think my skin would probably be half scars now if they didn't regenerate after my 'lessons' learned." Chuckling to himself Jim did air quotes as he said the word lessons. It was true though his approach of learned through trial and whole lot of error had resulted in him receiving quite a few injuries with the threat of even worse.

Laurels response drew quite the laughter out of Jim especially as she referred to him as a madman. "I am very lucky to have an amazing team to support me, but that's not even the craziest thing I've done let’s see here..." Holding his hand out, and looking up he started to list off and count his crazy adventures. "I've brought down two Nevermores out of the air by essentially tackling them out of the air. I buried a criminal under an entire dock that nearly brought me down as well. I've jumped out of a transport without a parachute using my sword and a building to slow down. Been thrown through multiple brick and concrete walls while trying to bring Grimm down. Oh and of course there was that time I leaped onto a bull head a building filled with Grimm collapsed beneath my feet." By the time he finished her was in a full tilt laughter as listing all his insane exploits in a row really did make him sound like a mad man. Yet, of all those the scariest for him was probably the damn flowers.

Thankfully, the green haired girl accepted his request to turn the conversation back to something he was little more comfortable discussing. Laurel went into her explanation of her weapon, and Jim listened intently they seemed like agility based effective weapons. "They seem pretty nice, I assume this means you're more of an agility type combatant?" After giving her a chance to answer he smiled and explained his own weapons of choice. "While I'm not without my own speedy tricks. I prefer raw power compliments my own semblance. I wield two 150 pound great swords that are about 6 feet long." Proud of his weapons Jim held a smile the whole time.
Personal Motto: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and nothing can kill me.
Favorite Quote: Maximum Effort!

Talking: ----- Thinking:

Jim's Theme Song : Indestructible : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A3c2RKTJ4I

Laurel Wayfarer
4th Semester

Post by Laurel Wayfarer » Wed Jul 26, 2017

An expression of disbelief, mouth and eyes open wide, formed as he continued to speak of his exploits in the field. This guy...was even more crazy than she thought. Bringing down buildings and Grimm, even a dock down around him, had her thinking that this Jim guy was a danger to himself and others. He said it all so matter-of-factly, like that was a regular day to him, and she wondered just what his team was like to go allow with these shenanigans. Not like they could stop him easily, Laurel noted as she reminded herself of his muscled physique. She had begun to laugh though as the pure ridiculousness of those events hit her. “Jeez, Jim. Ya sound like a dangerous guy when yer fightin’! I’d hate ta be on the receiving end of yer attacks when yer that serious. Can’t say I’m dying ta fight ya anytime soon.” She punctuated her last comment with a good-natured chuckle. To him, those all sounded like accomplishments. Scary ones.

She nodded at his quick assessment of her preferred style, not surprised he’d picked it up so quickly. Combat was his thing, and the main topic at hand, so him pinning it was expected. “Yep! I’d say I’m pretty balanced overall, but I do like ta have an edge speed and maneuverability wise. Light on my toes. Not everyone’s as big as ya, specifically me. I’m no lightweight, but doubt I’d do so well with somethin’ bigger and heavier than me by twice as much! Raw power has it’s uses, yeah, but sometimes it ends up a hinderance ta yerself and others. Like bringin’ down a dock onta yer head.” Laurel paused, the jab meant merely as a tease, and smiled. “But from my perspective, I like ta fight close and duck and weave. Seein’ as I originally learned ta fight with my hands, I had ta keep myself movin’ or I was in danger of gettin’ hit. A lighter and versatile weapon best compliments it, but man...a whole building?! That’s just insane, Jim. Sounds like it was a great time fer ya though.” Not that it was a respectable or quick end to those Grimm, but she was well aware that not everyone saw them as she did.

“I could do with some variation in my moves so I’m open ta learnin’ whatever ya can offer.” That ever present smile of his wasn’t as creepy as it could have been, strangely enough. She attributed it to his good looks and puppy-like charm. He made it hard to not smile in return, her lips curving upward, and likely kept him in people’s good books what with all the destruction he wrought.
Laurel Thread List