Carnivore (Private: Persimmon Tannin)

An indoor general area safe from Grimm monsters and a general place to lounge and dine.
Clyde Lynx/'Muzzle'
4th Semester
Race: Human
Weapon: None.
Semblance: True Hunter

Post by Clyde Lynx/'Muzzle' » Wed May 24, 2017

If Clyde had known that people were able to cook their own food in the dining hall, he would have been doing so for the past few years he has stayed at the academy. The late discovery has had him in a sour mood for most of the day, as he has had chagrin for some of the entrees that had been served to him. From fruits that were obviously set out for the students to eat before it rotted the next few days, to main dishes that were obviously slid out from a bag and set in a warmer to "cook", there were days where the male had to either choke the food down or fast until the cafeteria served something that resembled homemade cooking. It wasn't the school's fault, however; It was very aware that most students either go to other places to eat, bring their own meals from stores they have visited, or had groceries of their own to make their meals. It was an unspoken rule, but still a rule nonetheless.

Ground chuck beef, a big beef tomato, a head of iceberg lettuce, a plain white bun, and some sliced "white" cheese (The cheese was packaged, but sacrifices had to be made, as he didn't have the means or time to make his own). This was all that the student needed, and as he looked from the ingredients to the cast iron pan that was resting on top of the oven, Clyde was already thinking ahead on how to make the first meal he had cooked for himself in a long time. Looking down at his arms, the bandages were still concealing his arms; He washed them every day after training, but the thoughts of having them touching the raw meat didn't appeal to the cook. He looked to the door and to any other entrance point before gripping the end of the wrappings and beginning to slowly unwrap his limbs. The oil black colored arms were now exposed, venomous purple marks running down like tattoos, fingers holding rings of the same purple around the knuckles.

With clean hands covered with disposable gloves, Clyde was already making two patties out of the raw burger, placing them onto the cleaned counter. His fingers went to the salt and pepper he had in a small bowl, and pinched the granules, hovering them over the meat and sprinkling the black and white seasonings onto the meat. However, anyone who was watching could see that he was putting it on much more liberally than needed, but not to the point where it would ruin the meal. Much could still be said.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Persimmon Tannin
1st Semester
Weapon: Devotion
Semblance: Searing Flames

Re: Carnivore (Private: Persimmon Tannin)

Post by Persimmon Tannin » Tue May 30, 2017

What a day it had been. He felt his patience wearing thin as the professor droned on and one about some fight they had with a Grimm, colorful language and dramatic displays aside, it had been all he could do to not snort out loud when another student near him began to mimic the motions with obvious satire. A chuckle, disguised as a cough, had been earned along with a look of disapproval from another of his classmates. Like it mattered much. Stories were all well and good, but until he actually experienced such a thing, he’d think this tale a tall one. Letting out a sound of relief as his things were gathered, his next stop was his dorm where he had stowed all he needed to prepare his newest attempt at refining his skills. Or sharpen them, at the very least. Like anything, his cooking ability had to be tested regularly to keep it up to snuff. His uncle would have his head if he slacked.

And so here he was, bag in hand as the doors of the dining hall closed behind him. A few students were still milling around outside, but didn’t pay him any mind. Thank goodness for that as he hadn’t been entirely sure that use of the kitchen was allowed...his sweet words to the kitchen staff had gained him entry after ensuring he would leave it all as it had been after each use. As if the world were conspiring against him, the slender male sighed as he neared the kitchen with ingredients in hand. Lights on and the faint sounds of someone roaming within his destination caused him to pull up short of entering for just a moment. He, most of all, knew that some people didn’t like to be disturbed when cooking...but, well, it wasn’t like he could reserve the space. Might as well try and make another friend, especially if they were as interested in culinary pursuits as he was.

He pushed the door open as naturally as he would when by himself and entered the room. Just in time to see the excessive use of seasoning. “...think it wise to use that much salt and pepper? Everyone has their own tastes, I suppose...ah, but that is rude of me.” Words slipped out of his mouth before he even considered to think them through. That was the difficulty when talking cooking with another, he had his own more specific tastes and didn’t pause to consider it inconsiderate to comment. Yet, he knew all too well that there were people who couldn’t taste a thing or preferred to taste more of their favorite sauce than the actual dish itself. A quick glance revealed what looked like the makings of hamburgers, if not then something he hadn’t considered. A simple, but satisfying, dish. “I’m surprised, haven’t come across many students taking it upon themselves to cook a meal.” It wasn't until after he had analyzed the other's choice of food that he noticed the strange coloring of his rather...expansive arms. A hot streak of jealously went through him as he did his best to not think about his own lean muscular frame. Stamping it out as quickly as it had flared to life, instead he simply smiled good-naturedly at the barely taller male. Best not to delve into what could be a sensitive subject even if his curiosity tugged at him. "Mind if I use this space as well?"
"Passion drives us all, no matter what it is we love." #EC5800
Why must I be so limited? #73B4FF

Clyde Lynx/'Muzzle'
4th Semester

Post by Clyde Lynx/'Muzzle' » Wed May 31, 2017

If Clyde was starting to grow comfortable in the kitchen, it would have changed quickly as he heard the sound of a door opening, forced the man to freeze in place. His mind immediately panicked, almost pushing his body to reach for the wrappings he had just removed from him. But, the student calmed himself just as quickly, taking a slow inhale though his nose, closing his eyes just for a second. What was he expecting anyways? He was now in a public area, one that is frequented by many others, of course someone was going to go in at the time. He was internally kicking himself for his naivety, but his expression hadn't shown his true emotions enough to seem unapproachable.

Unfortunately, that look didn't last long, as his glaring eyes darting to the voice that questioned his amount of seasoning. Clyde had to look longer to realize that the lean figure was actually a male. The hair didn't help him in this case. Knowing that he might have a sour look on his face, Clyde dropped his eyes down back to his counter. "Not cooking for taste," He grumbled softly, just loud enough for his gravely voice to be heard. "Been too long since I cooked, so I'm not going to be perfect." To be fair to himself, the student's palate was quite strong, so if he truly had put too much into the meat, he would taste it for sure.

Almost right after the other male asked, Clyde grabbed his ingredients and the patties, shifting them over to another clean part of the counter, not bothering to look up from his hands. He seemed more than eager to give the other student some space. The tomato was starting to roll, but his hand snatched it before slipping off, eyes still on the burger. His entire manner was mindless and emotionless, almost of his focus on food that he was preparing, face frozen in a soft scowl. "Go ahead." The student said that quite later than necessary, but it didn't seem to faze him, turning away from the counter and shuffling over to the culinary knives. A man of little words. However, as he was moving through the kitchen, he kept his eyes on the feminine looking male through the corner of his eyes, trying his best to keep track to what he was doing in the kitchen. If he was going to try to be in here more often, he might as well learn as much as he can, and by the things the slightly shorter man said, Clyde could infer that he knew enough about the kitchen to know where things would be.

Persimmon Tannin
1st Semester

Post by Persimmon Tannin » Fri Jun 02, 2017

The sudden freezing of the larger male’s frame didn’t go unnoticed, but he let it pass without remarking. Most likely, he hadn’t expected to have someone walk in on him, just as the pink haired chef-in-training hadn’t either. Even as darker eyes glared at him, set into a stoic expression, though they didn’t unsettle him nearly as much as the unfortunate amount of spices that been applied to the poor beef. Though, if he started to fuss further at the other then he ran the risk of truly upsetting him...whether it showed or not. There were so many people who were rather touchy when it came to calling their skills into question. So many chefs he had met were surprisingly easy to put in that category, basically a bunch of drama queens.

He stifled a quick gasp as the built boy stated he hadn’t been cooking taste in mind. “But taste is what makes a dish! I hardly think that it’s unimportant to consider though taste varies from person to person.” As he spoke, he approached the cleared counter space and frowned slightly as he noticed the residue left by the patties. “Thank you.” Personally, he’d prefer to use more dishes than put raw meat on a counter top, no matter how clean it was. Shifting the bag to another surface, free from the immediate prep area, he quickly located the necessary cleaning equipment. While he did so, his eyes trailed over the other’s work and nodded to himself. “Perfection, absolute at any rate, is impossible though we all try to attain it. As long as it is to your taste, that’s what matters. Seeing as you are cooking for yourself.” Disinfecting took only a few moments as this action was practiced from all the times he had done so at home and had here. Once he was satisfied that the counter was clean, he put away all used items in the respective places.

That done, he quickly set about putting the components to his dish on display one by one. Today had been a more for revisiting a recipe he knew than exploring something new. Pulling out a bag of fresh pasta and various other ingredients, cream and such, hinted at the makings of an alfredo sauce and yet another bag was pulled from within which housed a collection of fresh shrimp that were still in their shell. Rolling up his sleeves, the slender chef washed his hands before he set about pulling measure cups and the like from drawers while locating the needed pots and pans. Each action spoke of a familiarity with the kitchen that had come from utilizing it many times since his arrival at Beacon, even if a few had been outside of normal hours.

Clyde Lynx/'Muzzle'
4th Semester

Post by Clyde Lynx/'Muzzle' » Wed Jun 07, 2017

It was now even more obvious to Clyde that the other male was experienced at cooking. The comment on taste, the swiftness in the way that he cleaned the counter after Clyde left it (He would have apologized, but he was too slow for it, and he thought it would be awkward at that point), and even the manner in which he began to lay out the ingredients and parts of his meal. It wasn't common that people would have talents into other professions. Or, at least, it wasn't common for Clyde. Either the students were huntsmen, or not at all. The thought of it oddly comforted the male.

The silence was starting to get to him, the sounds of electricity running and the fans above their heads whirling surprisingly louder than he wished. He had to say something, a headache was starting to form from the random background noises. "I'm guessing you cook a lot." The large student took note of that as he migrated to the other area, setting down his ingredients while he tried to memorize the places the slender male went to. When the other male was out of the way, Clyde made his way towards the cutting board. "Family business? Tradition? Or just something you picked up?" He slid the plastic board onto the counter, along with the knife. The tomato was small, so he knew that he was going to use all of it, which meant he wouldn't have to worry about leftovers.

At least that his cutting technique was somewhat professional: Clyde has his fingers curled so he could still hold the tomato, but have the knife out of the way. Even if he missed, he would have had to bring the knife down onto his knuckles in order to actually do damage. The only issue was the fact that he couldn't cut them to appropriate or even proportions. One slice was either too thick, or the other was too thin, and only a few slices were fine.

Persimmon Tannin
1st Semester

Post by Persimmon Tannin » Sun Jun 11, 2017

A tune would normally be hummed, it busied his mouth as his mind and hands worked, but with company he doubted it would be pleasing for the other male. Sharing a kitchen had a certain etiquette to adhere to and, even if this man looked less aware of such things, the fairer of the two would politely work in silence if that was all that happened. Frowning more deeply, more at himself than anything, that he had just assumed something so rashly gave him pause. It was extremely rude to judge by appearance alone. The strange discoloration of his arms aside, this man fit what was expected of a Huntsman. Big, strong, and a pair of lips the formed a straight line. No nonsense and no humor. The barest hint of a smile would have made him appear more approachable, almost infinitely so, but then that may be the reason why he presented himself as such.

A conversation was always welcome, though he was glad to not be the one breaking the silence. “I try to make as many of my own meals as possible. Not to insinuate the usual fare is unappetizing...just that is appears to have been slapped together.” Why put on airs when it was true? “I’ve been cooking from a young age as my uncle sparked my interest. He travels quite a bit and took me with him for some years. Better than being confined to endless orchards and family expectations.” A busy tongue instead of busy hands, he cursed mentally. Even so, it did no harm to answer his questions. “An introduction seems to be in order. A pleasure, please call me Persi.” He had turned to face the other male, about to extend a hand in greeting, but a look of barely constrained dismay transformed his expression from what had been a pleasant smile.

“No, no, no. This won’t do. Let me show you how it’s properly done.” He retrieved his own knife, less potential for harming one another by passing the one in use, and furrowed his brows. Making note of the positioning of the man’s larger hands, fingers and knuckles curled appropriately, reassured him that he wouldn’t be dealing with a complete idiot. “Allow me.” Slipping into instructional mode, he stepped up beside the somewhat taller man and quickly took over what was left of the tomato. Not much, admittedly, a glance at the uneven slices had him sighing. Though his own skills were geared toward presentation being an important, while not the most, component of a meal it was likely the other student cared more for eating the final creation than perfecting the pieces. He set the red skinned food was held on its side on the cutting board, slightly uneven edge exposed, and made quick work concerning the rest. Having held the portioned fruit with the correct positioning of his fingers, it would be obvious that pale skin had been marred by miniscule lines of much faded scars. The sharpened metal cut even slices from what had been left to create a small, neat stack. “There. Work swiftly and be conscious of the sizing. I commend you on your knowledge of how to correctly handle a knife as I’ve seen too many people harm themselves by not following such a simple rule. At any rate, why are you taking it upon yourself to prepare your meal? I barely see other students in here.”

Clyde Lynx/'Muzzle'
4th Semester

Post by Clyde Lynx/'Muzzle' » Wed Jun 21, 2017

Even though the response that Clyde had gotten from the other male was quite normal, and even satisfactory, it still had brought a strange line of thought in his head, one that wasn't to be concerned about, but one that had to be noted. When was the last time that the student had a normal conversation on something so mundane? When it began to worry him, he shook the thought off of him mentally, only focusing on the external voice. The task that he was working to was so simple and borderline mindless, and yet he felt that his attention was still highly needed. The knife was of no issue; if the blade were to hit his fingers, he knew that it would be like metal against metal. But even still, he kept his eyes on his board while he worked to cut the tomato, finding that he also agreed with the pink-haired cook. "It has been months since I've had meat from here, right before getting sick. That was, and will be, the last time I eat something they cook from here." Quite unforgiving when it comes to poor food, it seems. "Clyde." He said it with a tone that obviously meant to tell that it was his name.

Clyde's eyes were still locked onto his board when Persi stretched his hand towards him, back facing to him. However, the counter in front of him was still in clear view, and it was clear that there was little technique to his cutting past the simple slicing motion. One problem was that the knife the larger male was handling seemed dull as well, or at least dull enough to prevent him from clean cuts. It had gotten the job done, but it also leaves the tomato slices lightly smushed. He stopped the motion when he heard Persi call out to him, forcing him to set the knife down and peering back over his shoulders. What could he be doing wrong, when he was just cutting? His eyebrow raised, and a strong tinge of annoyance was on his expression as he watched the board slide out of his reach and to the passionate chef. To the untrained cook however, Clyde only saw that he was doing the exact thing he was doing before. The scars along Persi's hands, however, told the larger male a different perspective: If he was doing something wrong, then he would trust the more experienced of the two. At least he wasn't a sensitive idiot like some would be. When the job was done, he simply remained in his spot, eyebrow still raised, an uncomfortable gaze on the board. "Thank you...?"

That was when the question was brought up. It is such a straight-forward question, one that didn't need too much thought on it. And Clyde sure isn't one to completely over-think things in his head and let out such an unnecessarily drawn-out answer, right? "It's what I've had to do for a long time. It wasn't for a passion. Didn't have that luxury." His free hand reached out for the head of lettuce and set it next to the cutting board. He had left an empty space that was large enough for him to break off a few leaves and set it down. When he grabbed the knife again and start cutting, he definitely seemed more cautious of his cutting sizes. The last thing that he wanted to do was have his work being taken over again for something that he can easily fix, which he fortunately did. "I never trusted other's cooking either. At least if it tastes bad, it's my fault." His eyes finally broke from the board and to Persi's counter, nodding his head towards its direction. "What're you cooking over there...?"

Persimmon Tannin
1st Semester

Post by Persimmon Tannin » Thu Jun 22, 2017

One more look over the end result assured him that it hadn’t been in vain. Stepping aside, he had completed the self-imposed task of evenly slicing the tomato to his satisfaction. The annoyed look was missed, his attention elsewhere at the time being, but it did hit him that it had been inconsiderate to step into another's space to correct their work. Especially a stranger at that. “Um, excuse my brisk manner… I slipped into instructional mode without realizing it was incredibly rude of me to do so. My apologies.” So many times he had been on the receiving end of a lesson where the teacher, whether it had been his uncle or his friend, and every action had been analyzed to perfection. As close as he could manage and then the next trip carried him away to start the process all over again. “Clyde, hm...short and abrupt. Intriguing name, can’t say I’ve heard it before.”

He did take the time to glance over the next stage of preparation, the lettuce. With a small smile, he noted that the considerably more careful cutting. It seemed as if his words had been heard and accepted, even if the way in which they had been provided hadn’t been terribly polite. He attention turned to the ingredients that set on the counter, ready and waiting for his attention. A quick wash of his hands later and he grasped the bag that held the shrimp, gray and in need of peeling. The bag was emptied into a bowl, one of a pair, he pulled from a nearby cabinet. He then set about the shucking the shell from each shrimp, removing the vein that ran along the back, and discarding shells into the bag that had transported them. Soon enough, the previously empty bowl began to fill to await cooking. Another rinse and they were set aside, but after a moment of thought some ice was retrieved from the large fridge. He mixed the frozen cubes into the bowl to ensure the crustacean would keep cold.

There were many aspects to good cooking, taste being a large portion, but if it was as pleasing to the eyes as it was to the stomach that meant twice the pleasure. “Luxury? I...supposed you have a point. By no means do I expect someone to hold themselves to as high a standard as I do, but I do believe cooking is as much about appearance as it is taste. The only other element that could improve a meal is pleasant company.” Which brought to mind the time he had met another male in this kitchen, a cat faunus, though that meeting had taken an embarrassing turn right off the bat. “ I did begin studying the culinary arts as a child as it is a passion of mine, but not everyone see it that way. I admit...I’ve been afforded opportunities not many can claim to have had.” It did remind him that many people weren’t born into a relatively stable livelihood. Many students sought to become a Huntsman or Huntress due to personal tragedy or a fierce need to help those less fortunate. As his own reasons were driven by family, he could understand such things while still being reminded that he had been fortunate. “Unable to trust another’s cooking, you say? I can’t imagine what would have traumatized quite so much as to prompt that.” At the question, his eyes darted up and over the array of items that he had brought. “A dish I’m quite familiar with, an alfredo pasta with shrimp. Very simple, but always a wonderful meal. Despite your mention of distrusting the cooking of others, you’re welcome to some of it. I tend to make larger portions for later as I can’t ignore my studies.”