Awkwardness (Open - Please PM prior to joining)

An indoor general area safe from Grimm monsters and a general place to lounge and dine.
Ax L. Rose
4th Semester
Race: Faunus
Weapon: Electra Heart
Semblance: Affinity

Post by Ax L. Rose » Sun Sep 03, 2017

She wasn't exactly a new student anymore, she supposed. It'd been more than a month since the exchange program from Atlas had brought her to this academy. Some part of her had been hoping all this time that eventually the general awkwardness of being in a completely unfamiliar locale would fade. Peering uncertainly into the dining hall from the doors, the realization dawned on her that she had not really thought this through.

All this time, she'd been mostly providing her own food with the stipend from home. She ate in her dorm, usually alone. For other meals, she rode her bike into the city. She had not once set foot into the hall to dine with the other students. If she had wanted this to ever be anything other than awkward, she probably should have tried to at least coexist among them sooner.

She had never considered herself a particularly shy person. Then again, she hadn't really been this alone in all the time she was in Atlas. This was different. All the various emotions her semblance detected in the room seemed to melt together, forming a strange, indiscernible blob that she could make no sense of. It was like a game of minesweeper. She wouldn't know until she got close to someone whether or not they were a pleasant or unpleasant person. It would be a gamble no matter what. With a deep breath, Ax resigned herself to her fate. No more isolating and hoping things would fix themselves. If she wanted to get out of this awkward new-girl phase, she'd need to put herself out there. After all, what was the risk compared to the feeling of being on stage? This would be nothing... so she told herself.

Ax stepped into the hall, more or less making a point to focus her bright blue eyes forward and toward where the food was. She walked at a slow, deliberate pace. She was determined not to let any anxiety show, but the telltale drum of her bitten-short fingernails drumming against the guitar case slung over her shoulder served as a tell to anyone whose eyes happened to catch the colorful, flamboyantly dressed girl.

She barely processed her choices. Next thing she knew she had a full tray, and could only gaze out at the various tables half full of other students. There were a few empty ones. They were tempting choices. Instead, she started to murmur to herself, eyes darting from table to table.

"Eeny... meeny... miny... moe..." She whispered in time with the flicker of her eyes. When she picked her table she didn't give much thought beyond that. The table in question didn't have a ton of people, and it didn't look like any particularly tightly-knit groups or teams were occupying it. Her eyes found an empty spot and she focused on it to the exclusion of almost all else as she marched with purpose to it. It wasn't until she set down her tray, rested her guitar case on the floor, and took a seat that she exhaled the breath she didn't realize she was holding in. With that, she shot a wary glance at the other handful of occupants of the table, unsure who to try breaking the ice with first.
Idle (The Right Way Around) - / Combat (Second Chance) - / Main (Kill the Lights) -
I'm gonna live, I'm gonna fly;
I'm gonna fail, I'm gonna die.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Shiro Sametto
1st Semester
Weapon: Sand Tiger & Thorn Chains
Semblance: Pinpoint Barrier

Re: Awkwardness (Open - Please PM prior to joining)

Post by Shiro Sametto » Tue Sep 05, 2017

Shiro had seated herself about as close as she was willing to get to the other people at the table, she hadn't said anything to them as they had not piqued her interest. They had thus far chosen not to comment that Shiro was sitting with them and she ate quietly as possible without taking her bandanna off. She would have simply lost herself to the taste of the food if she were alone but she had been told that scarfing food as fast as she could into her mouth made people uncomfortable. The albino girl could suddenly feel someone b-line for the table she was sitting at. For a tense moment she braced to be attacked but it was just another student coming to sit, she sighed in relief.

She looked the student up and down but the thing that caught her eye was the guitar case, her eyes lit up from the dark assessing look to a bright wonder of a child discovering something new for the first time. She leaned over the table pulling herself over the food and almost standing on the bench. " Do you play? Shiro never shaw one up closhe. Can she toush it? Shiro likes music with a good beat, how do you know what noishe it will make?" speaking to fast now to correct her lisp, anyone looking could practically feel the joy radiate off of her, making her red eyes sparkle. She managed to get all that out before she tilted over and had to lean back into her chair to return to balance. She seemed to realize what she did and cough into her hand slowing herself her whole body no longer radiating her feelings. "S-Shiro is sorry, She has never talked to a musician before."
"Talking"
Thinking
'self doubt thinking/inner anger voice'
Battle Theme

"lost to all reason screaming"
Lost to all reason battle theme

Ax L. Rose
4th Semester

Post by Ax L. Rose » Wed Sep 06, 2017

Ax's eyes scanning the table were very suddenly drawn to a person nearly standing up at the table, speaking to her. While she was hoping that a little pleasant social interaction would come of her efforts, she hadn't expected such a sudden reaction.

The girl in question that had her attention now was... extremely short. Probably a whole head shorter than Ax was herself, at least. Bright blue eyes flickered very briefly on the checked bandana she wore, before finding her eyes. It was hard to tell what color they were exactly, but they looked a very bright red in the lighting of the dining hall. So pale.

No one was ever quite what they seemed in the academy, Ax felt the need to remind herself. Anyone sharing a table with her here was, in all likelihood, a very skilled fighter. Thankfully, it seemed the attention she was getting from this girl was inquisitive and curious in a pleasant way that suggested genuine interest rather than anything negative or suspicious. The impression Ax was getting thanks to her semblance was pleasant too, so this girl probably wasn't a faunus hater, at least. That, or she hadn't noticed the feather-tipped ears yet.

Ax gave the girl the best, warmest smile she could manage in these unfamiliar circumstances. "I do." She said with a nod. Her eyes darted down to the case resting on the bench beside her where she sat as the girl asked if she could touch the guitar. This had been the first time anyone had ever asked such a thing. She pushed the initial feeling of discomfort from her mind quickly enough. If anyone around here was going to be delicate and respectful of a future huntress' weapon, it'd be another prospective. She pursed her lips to the side in thought for a moment, before raising her shoulders in a small shrug and bending to pull the case up onto her lap.

"Sure, just be careful. You don't want to turn it on. There's a switch." Ax warned gently. "If you do, it might be a pretty shocking experience." She felt the urge to groan at her own words.

"...pun unintended."

She pushed her tray aside towards an empty space at the table and set the now open case on the table in front of her. Within rested Ax's custom-made nightmare; a hybrid of a two-handed battleaxe and a guitar. Though in its dormant state, it definitely resembled the former more than the latter. Only the head stock at the bottom of the shaft really implied anything about the blade being anything other than an axe. There were no visible strings... not as long as it was switched off.

"I know the noises it makes like the back of my hand. Practice and experience, I guess. You got nothin' to be sorry about." To Ax, Shiro's question was a very valid one. It was also a risky thing to ask a very technically gifted musician like Ax, who was always liable to ramble off details about such things impulsively and continuously once she got started.

"Lotta' people think electric guitars all sound the same. S' pretty sharp to ask that. It's because of differences like the pickups usually, which this one doesn't have. Single-coil pickups sound different from the humbucking pickups that have two coils. Plus, the structure of the guitar will affect the sound too. Since this one uses semi-solid strings composed of suspended metal-forming dust crystals in a containment field, that gives this baby a very distinct sort of sound to it that's pretty tough for any other instrument to reproduce. The strings are naturally generated taut from here..." She gestured at the bottom of the handle. "So yeah, I don't need to coil strings around anything. Kinda a moot thing, but it does effect the sound for these things normally..." She paused for a moment.

"...I'm being super rude. I'm sorry. I should... probably introduce myself or something first before talkin' your ear off about this sort of thing. I get carried away. Heh." She reached up to rub the side of her neck, eyes turning back to the girl she was speaking to.

"Call me Ax. I can cool it with the music-talk if you want. I just get excited 'bout this sorta thing." She admitted sheepishly, the grin on her lips a bit cheesy and self-conscious.
Last edited by Ax L. Rose on Sun Dec 24, 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Idle (The Right Way Around) - / Combat (Second Chance) - / Main (Kill the Lights) -

Shiro Sametto
1st Semester

Post by Shiro Sametto » Fri Sep 08, 2017

Shiro was surprised that the guitar was also a sort of weapon, then again her weapon was just as unconventional. She inspected the parts as they were pointed out but she didn't really understand the technical aspect of what Ax was saying. Most of what she picked up was that it used dust to make music and it made a unique sound because of that.

"Shiro, gets excited about new things. She can't stop sometimes, and there is no reason to not feel passion for what you do." Shiro placed the guitar back in Ax's hands and rolled her neck as she tried to figure out what she should say next. She looked back at her food, only half of it was gone as she had been eating slowly. She looked over at Ax again with a sort of question in her eyes like she wasn't sure what to do, but she caught sight of her ears and inwardly smiled to herself. She reached behind herself to undo her bandanna but paused for a second " Excuse Shiro for one second, She needs to finish this before the conversation moves forward."

The knot fell down and she let the bandanna fall into her lap. Without opening her mouth her status as a faunus was quite apparent, her mouth was wider than a regular persons and a few pointy shark-like teeth poked through. Then the scared girl grabbed her plate and just shoveled the rest of the food into her mouth, only chomping a couple of times before swallowing. A few of the other students that had been around got a bit disturbed and decided to take their lunch elsewhere or give up on food all together for now. She steeled herself to move the conversation forward, despite any shock that might have occurred.

Shiro turned back to Ax reaching into her pocket and pulling out her combat wheels. The wheels with no pressure on them were fully extended to look like a little wheel made of segmented blades with a little canister in the middle. " Shiro fights with these and chains." She ran her thumb across the chain clipped to her shoulder. " Shiro feels free when she's riding, Professor told her that the hope it gives her is the most dangerous thing to Grimm." She looked back up at Ax, this time with a bit of fear. It terrified her to be open like this but if she didn't take the chance while she was brave there wouldn't be a second chance. No if she got hurt like this an even stronger barrier would form around Shiro, she didn't take cuts a second time.
"Talking"
Thinking
Battle Theme

Ax L. Rose
4th Semester

Post by Ax L. Rose » Tue Sep 12, 2017

Ax was quiet as Shiro set the guitar back and spoke. Her only immediate response was a short nod as she closed her guitar case and stowed Royal Blue on the seat beside her again. She'd brought food to eat anyway, so she followed suit - her eyes were drawn to a burger on her tray, and this proceeded to dominate her attentions for the moment.

After a first bite, her eyes idly wandered back towards Shiro. She had to squint a little to realize what she was seeing - razor sharp fangs, for starters. This had not been the strangest faunus feature she'd seen. The revelation alone was enough to make her shoulders relax a little at her sides. It was easier to make friends with faunus in her experiences. Much easier.

"...daaaamn." Ax murmured at the rather monstrous table manners being displayed. Judging from the smirk that came to her lips after, she didn't entirely disapprove. Shiro must have just been... very hungry. When she realized that others at the table were a little more repulsed by the display, her eyes narrowed at the leavers with annoyance.

Her indignation was short-lived as Shiro spoke to her again. Her eyes practically lit up when she saw the 'skates'. The best and most interesting huntsman and huntresses always had the most unique weaponry. She'd been seeing a lot of boring stuff - swords, guns, things you'd expect. This was one of the more 'out there' concepts.

"Wow. I love it." Ax said quietly. The blend of a passion with a means of combat... that had been the exact concept she was hoping to emulate herself. "Sounds like that professor knew their stuff. How long have you been rollin' with those?" Ax asked curiously.

Shiro Sametto
1st Semester

Post by Shiro Sametto » Thu Sep 14, 2017

Shiro put the wheels back in her pocket, leaving them sitting on the table would be a good way to loose them.
Shiro was happy that the other faunus thought her choice was appropriate so she decided to oblige her request for more information. "Shiro learned to skate four years ago, when she was living with the proffesor at Shade there was so many things then.." Her eyes glossed over a little bit as she was remembering what it was like just a short time ago. " Shiro could have never fought again at that time, everything was so... new. Shiro was free for the first time ever, there was so much to see and She-" The small girl shook her head making her hair fling about behind her tossing the three layers of ponytail in different directions. She spoke again but even slower this time pulling the right words to speak properly.

"I was carefree for a while, everything was good. I decided to fight when I saw a Grimm for the first time." The words felt like they were heavy, as if saying them was like some sort of weight but her speech was starting to pick up speed. " I couldn't do anything that time, but I'll never let anyone be hurt anymore if I can stop it. Shiro snapped up like she had realized she was bringing her heavy thoughts to the table. "But Shiro helped the professor build Sand Tiger and now Shiro can move really fast. Everything is working now and Shiro even beat some Grimm since coming to Beacon."
"Talking"
Thinking
Battle Theme

Ax L. Rose
4th Semester

Post by Ax L. Rose » Fri Sep 15, 2017

Ax listened attentively, raising her burger and taking the occasional bite as Shiro enlightened her as to the abridged history of her training. She was forming a clear first impression rather quickly. This girl, Shiro, was definitely... different. Her mannerisms were unusual, and seemed to suggest a relative lack of social experience. The way she had shoveled her food into her mouth before played into that impression, as did the small tangible sensation of Shiro's momentary anxiety when she started trying to talk about herself. Shiro also seemed to refer to herself on-and-off in the third person. As weird as all that was, however, Ax found herself not really minding. She did what she could to pay careful mind to the way Shiro's emotional state progressed via Ax's semblance as the pale, seemingly shy girl spoke, keen to see what she'd learn from doing so. She saved her questions and comments for when Shiro was finished, not wanting to interrupt the girl's train of thought.

"Shade Academy. That's... the one in Vacuo, right?" Ax asked as her bright blue eyes wandered, sizing up the girl across the table. Shiro seemed so pale... almost unnaturally so, like it was genetic or something. Not that Ax would know. She'd expect someone from Shade to have a little sun in their skin. She was reluctant to ask for any details about the girl's encounter with the Grimm. Whatever Shiro's motivations were for seeking huntress training, they seemed pretty serious at a glance. Especially from the... change in demeanor as her words had progressed. Ax was eager to try and prevent the conversation from getting too heavy. The best way she could think to do that was to talk about herself, but somehow that didn't feel entirely appropriate.

She was speaking with a mouthful of food. "Mentored by a professor... nice. I had tutors when I started combat training but it wasn't much like the professors here. This has been... a definite step up. Expectations are higher and stuff. The teachers don't screw around." She paused to take a tip of soda and swallow her food before continuing.

"Hey, y' don't gotta talk about any stuff you don't wanna get into. I get it. Sometimes it's weird to talk about... y'know. Past stuff." She tried to sound assuring as she said it.

Shiro Sametto
1st Semester

Post by Shiro Sametto » Sun Sep 17, 2017

Shiro's emotions fluttered darkly, into depression, fear and rage as she briefly thought about the things she was avoiding talking about. "Shiro hasn't been talking about what she doesn't want." She said darkly before moving back to a more neutral state of emotion somewhere between optimism and anxiety. She glanced at one of the trays that was left behind, looking back at Ax before grabbing a turkey leg off of one of them and stripping the meat off with her teeth easily. " Shiro could hear about you more, Shiro is not sure how the standards are different here but they stopped making Shiro take English lessons. Shiro also doesn't need to study as much history now either.

Shiro sat back to listen and or let there be silence, content to drag another tray over to herself and just eat whatever the student left behind. Stopping every so often to consider if she could eat the bone, and deciding against it. She is however very attentive to whatever Ax might say.
"Talking"
Thinking
Battle Theme

Shiro Sametto
1st Semester

Post by Shiro Sametto » Sun Sep 17, 2017

Shiro's emotions fluttered darkly, into depression, fear and rage as she briefly thought about the things she was avoiding talking about. "Shiro hasn't been talking about what she doesn't want." She said darkly before moving back to a more neutral state of emotion somewhere between optimism and anxiety. She glanced at one of the trays that was left behind, looking back at Ax before grabbing a turkey leg off of one of them and stripping the meat off with her teeth easily. " Shiro could hear about you more, Shiro is not sure how the standards are different here but they stopped making Shiro take English lessons. Shiro also doesn't need to study as much history now either.

Shiro sat back to listen and or let there be silence, content to drag another tray over to herself and just eat whatever the student left behind. Stopping every so often to consider if she could eat the bone, and deciding against it. She is however very attentive to whatever Ax might say.
"Talking"
Thinking
Battle Theme

Ax L. Rose
4th Semester

Post by Ax L. Rose » Sun Sep 17, 2017

It seemed Ax had unwittingly undermined her own intentions with what she'd said. A dreadful choking sensation gripped her chest, and for a moment in Shiro's red-tinted eyes she felt like she was seeing a thousand little fragments of shattered spotlights... and then just like that, it was gone, leaving Ax feeling strangely breathless and eager to break eye contact.

Outwardly it was obvious that something unpleasant had happened to Ax. She had exhaled a sharp breath like she'd been punched in the stomach, her pupils shrinking for a moment before her eyes snapped shut. Fully aware of how this looked, she conjured up the first excuse she could for her reaction to the emotional feedback she'd picked up from Shiro. She reached up and pressed a thumb and forefinger to her temples, playing it off like a headache. She wasn't really sure why she bothered with the display. She would probably end up telling Shiro what was going on at some point anyway. Soon, even. Why not? She at least didn't lie out loud about the headache just being an act.

It clicked into place with a few seconds of delay that Shiro was still speaking to her. It took her a moment to process what she'd just heard. Somehow, she felt very reluctant to start prattling about herself in any detail now. Still, the girl across from her had been clearly making an effort to be sociable. Ax could at least try to keep up. Now would have been a good time to tell her about the semblance.

"Uh... heh. Well... I'm not sure what all to say about me." Ax spoke softly, almost warily. "For starters... I have a semblance that makes me pick up on emotional feedback. I feel what others feel. Or at least something vaguely similar. People react... differently to different feelings." She lowered her hand and forced herself to look back at Shiro, hoping that the sense of dread she felt all of the sudden wasn't going to be too contagious.