Where Does This Pond Go? (PM for Invite)

Back of the school is a large garden surrounded by hedges and a large pond with open paths. This area of the school is for you to chat with other characters casually, discuss your school work, practice your technique without fear of running into creatures of Grimm, and to meet new people.
Telu Satou
1st Semester
Race: Human
Weapon: Grand Chocolatier & Dame Blanche
Semblance: Vortex

Re: Where Does This Pond Go? (PM for Invite)

Post by Telu Satou » Mon Apr 16, 2018

Telu let out a weary sigh. She wished she could take out larger Grimm in a single blow. The whole point of her fighting style was to be precise and efficient, but she wasn't quite where she wanted to be yet. She crutched hard on her semblance, relied on it too heavily. Maybe someday she'd have the skill to fight like she aspired to... but right now, well, she was a work in progress!

"You're right about what you said. Not being adept at taking out foes in a single blow? I really want to be that kind of huntress. The kind that finds the weak spot in the armor, strikes decisively and brings down a big foe not with sheer force, but with knowledge and precision. I'm still learning though. I'm doing my best." She nodded her head, trying to speak more assertively as her words reached their conclusion. There was no point in being mopey about it! She'd need to be determined if she wanted to be the huntress she dreamed she'd be!

She felt a cold sweat at the thought of relying on her semblance again in sparring bouts. It was only a matter of time before she'd have to - sparring practice was required. Huntresses and huntsmen needed to develop the skills to fight knowledgeable and adaptable opponents. The Grimm didn't always have basic, animal-like instinct. Longer-lived ones exhibited tactics and favored self-preservation over suicide tactics. She understood why it was necessary... but that didn't mean she liked it.

"I-I'd like to think so. Sparring makes me nervous though. I hate the idea of maybe accidentally hurting someone." Or being hurt. Again.

"What about you though? What's your semblance like?" Telu eagerly changed the subject. She didn't want to think about the inevitability of sparring human opponents again. She'd rather get to know her new friend better! A semblance could say a lot! She hadn't really elaborated much on how hers worked, but she could always talk more about it later if he was curious...
Idle (Maroma Samsa) - / Combat (Meatball Submarine) - / Main (UFO) -
Sticks and stones won't break our bones...
As long as you have me.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Oliver Hughs
1st Semester
Weapon: Fusillade
Semblance: Triumphant Might

Post by Oliver Hughs » Mon Apr 16, 2018

With the weapon comparison's out of the way Oliver would revert Fusillade back to it's 'ranged' form, going through a functions check in a smooth and practiced manner. Pull and hold the trigger. Listen for all four hammers to fall. Release to hear that satisfying click. Charge the handle again and flick the safety back on. All was in working order! With that done he'd make to put the weapon away back into his duffel bag and zip it all up, making to look over at Telu as she sighed. 'Wonder what that's about...' he'd wonder to himself, humming thoughtfully as he cocked a brow. Did he say something wrong? He didn't think he did...

Oh wait - there it was. She just wanted to be more than she was right now. That made sense.

"Nail on the head right there - I mean, you said it yourself, you're still learning...heck we all are. It's the whole point of the academy, right? To square us away and turn us all into real Huntsman and Huntress'..." Oli would say in agreement, nodding firmly.

He frowned a bit when she mentioned how sparring made her nervous. Not so much at the fact that it made her nervous, he could understand that - when it came down to a spar some butterflies were bound to show up fight before the bell tolled and it started...but there was something in the way she admitted it that even Oli was able to note. She didn't seem to like it, or at least some aspect of sparring in general beyond the possibility of harming someone. That was simply something the boy wouldn't be able to understand - not without asking her about it - but he was hesitant to do so if even mentioning it had her so quickly change the subject like that. Perhaps down the road he would...

"That's a shame about sparring...but yeah, my semblance! I mean, the plainest way to put it is that it literally makes me stronger" he'd admit lamely, blinking a moment and holding up his hands in a gesture to wait a moment as his brain tripped over itself for a better explanation. "Or ah, hang on, I can do better than that...weird as it might sound my Semblance won't even work right if I'm not trying to win or don't think I have a puncher's chance to begin with. It's sort of like an adrenaline rush when I use it - that's the closest thing I can compare it to at least. Just a big ol' boost in energy and physical power."

"The more determined I am to scratch another line in that 'W' column, or the more resolve I have about coming out on top the stronger it makes me when I use it. Helps a lot with trading blows with someone else who though they were getting the better of you moments before as well. Not all that practical outside of a fight though..."
he'd admit with a snort. Because really - what good would that sort of thing do him. Did it even have applicability outside of anything he could twist into a competition? Maybe a contest of strength? Not that he'd mind entering one...but using his Semblance would be like cheating and Oli was above something like that assuming no one else who entered was using similar abilities.

"I'm not the best with my words when trying to describe things...I can try to elaborate if you want though. Only if you explain what your Semblance let's you do as well - seems a fair trade between friends" he'd offer up, making a playful game out of it for some light amusement on his own part.
#8A9A5B, Speaking
#C7EA46, Thinking

Telu Satou
1st Semester

Post by Telu Satou » Mon Apr 16, 2018

Telu peered over at Oliver almost suspiciously as he took the subject change and started to roll with it, but the semblance he admitted to having ended up sounding really nondescript even after he tried to elaborate a little bit upon it. She had no idea what a semblance like that said about a person. Maybe just that he was naturally competitive? Aura was weird. She'd been expecting something more elaborate and poetic, but she knew good and well that sometimes things just worked out that way. She remembered plenty of stories of kids back in Signal realizing what their semblances were and being disappointed they didn't end up with something 'cooler'. The way Oliver talked about his own semblance made her think of those very stories.

Maybe he was just being modest and downplaying what he did? If his semblance really had a competitive aspect to it, that seemed likely. It was easier to win when you could catch people off guard. But then again... Oliver didn't strike her as an inherently dishonest person thus far. She supposed she still didn't know him all that well.

"Well... hey, you're in the right field then, right? More energy and physical strength doesn't exactly have much for downsides against Grimm, am I right? Maybe you struggle to apply it outside of fights, but... fighting is what you're going to be doing for a living if you stick around, so it all works out I guess," she said, clearly trying to make an effort to look at the bright side. She gave a light shrug as her own semblance came up again and her eyes veered away, looking upward as though deep in thought.

"It's hard to explain mine. It'd be easier... and probably cooler to show you. But I can just tell you. If... if you were to say, shoot that gun at me and I had a hand up, I'd theoretically be able to use my semblance to catch the pellets in a vortex field. Then I could either drop them on the ground harmlessly or... I could shoot them back at you. I'm still getting better at the second part. The spread on the way back would probably be so wide it'd probably be nearly worthless unless I did it at like... point-blank range, and at that distance I'm not sure I'd have the necessary control of my aura to catch it. It's... it's a useful defense-oriented semblance and I use miniature vortex fields formed with my hands to fire my gun too. So... I find uses for it. But it's not exactly useful outside of a fight either usually. If someone throws something at me I could probably just catch it and throw it back like a normal person instead of, you know... showing off with my semblance," She explained all at once. She wasn't sure what her semblance said about herself, either. She had expected something better for sneaking and being stealthy, but it really just didn't end up working out that way.

She looked back at Oliver after she spoke with a clear smile on her lips. It wasn't the widest or most dazzling smile - it was a small one, but an earnest, warm, and genuine one. 'Between friends', he'd said. She'd have loved to think she just made a friend. The thought had crossed her mind earlier, but him saying it out loud like that seemed to make it more valid and real. She hadn't had many friends that were boys before though. Maybe that was a sign she was growing more mature. She definitely liked that idea.
As long as you have me.

Oliver Hughs
1st Semester

Post by Oliver Hughs » Mon Apr 16, 2018

"That's true. I guess I feel like it sort've leaves me a bit one dimensional is all. Just a guy with an obnoxious shotgun who can punch really hard, haha. I'll work on it. On that same token though, Grimm don't care a lick of anything about what you can do in a fight...so you're definitely right. As long as I can do my part and make sure I'm carrying my weight as part of a team I'll be happy. Being able to make a difference would be nice I think, however small it might come out to be..."

Before he'd come to unlock his aura, which he still had relatively poor control over, Oliver hadn't a clue in the world as far as what to expect what it'd be. Sure, he imagined a few grand things when he was younger: being able to bend an element like fire or perhaps even the earth itself to his will, super speed, maybe being able to make clones of himself to overwhelm an opponent...he'd even thought of how cool it'd have been to have lasers come out of his eyes at one point when he was probably around seven years old or so. All concepts that were surely over the top and unrealistic, more so things that you'd expect to read about in a fictional comic book about a superhero than anything else really. That was all before he matured a bit and simply accepted that whatever came to fruition was just how it was going to be. Make the best of what you got and don't expect any more unless you were willing to work for it - not that he'd ever complain with the cards he'd been dealt.

As his newest and first friend at Beacon went on to explain her Semblance with a bit of detail, he regarded her with a thoughtful look on his face. She was smart, probably a lot smarter than him, and he could tell by the way she was able to describe it at a level he could follow with ease. Maybe she'd help him study and in turn he could help her get over the trepidation she had about sparring. He wasn't the best, but he liked to think he could help her win some of her bouts - a few victories could go a long way. Who knew? They could be sparring buddies and push each other to new heights! Wishful thinking was all it was though...

"Huh, a vortex? That's pretty cool. I was way off with my guess when I saw you make the round float in your palm...you've probably got a lot more room to expand on than myself though, as far as what you're going to be able to do with your Semblance" Oliver would admit with a nonchalant shrug and smirk. He didn't bother to try and read into what sort of reflections Telu's Semblance had on her life or personality. He didn't have the kind of analytical mind to really connect the dots with any modicum of accuracy. He watched as she smiled softly, finding it contagious as his own lips pulled upwards into a grin again.

"Y'know, you have a nice smile when you're not forcing it. Should do it more often I think" he'd comment offhandedly to break the silence that had settled between the two. He'd clear his throat a moment then and followed it up by saying something else to not let things become awkward from the compliment staining the air by itself. "But yeah, if you'd like we could train together in our off time once I get settled in and start classes. Help each other get stronger and work on our weak points. I'm not all that great with aura or dust...and I bet I can help you with your sparring problem. What do ya' think?"
#8A9A5B, Speaking
#C7EA46, Thinking

Telu Satou
1st Semester

Post by Telu Satou » Tue Apr 17, 2018

Telu shook her head gently, interjecting only once as he spoke.

"You don't seem one-dimensional to me! It's hard to be an objective judge of yourself, so..." Her words trailed off, her lips pursing to the side as she realized she had no idea what was really appropriate to say here. Her eyes trailed upward and away in thought, but she said nothing further on that topic. She didn't know Oliver well enough to tell him he was wrong about himself, even if she wanted to. Maybe someday down the road if this sort of thing came up again.

"Y'know, you have a nice smile when you're not forcing it. Should do it more often I think..."

Her eyes turned back to him quickly. The girl was caught off guard by this compliment. It... wasn't one she was used to hearing. In fact, most compliments of that nature weren't. By most standards, she considered herself plain. As extraordinarily bad as she was at taking compliments she could only look down and away after, a hint of pink accompanying the heat growing in her cheeks. Her lips parted to say something, but she hesitated for a moment first. She had just started to speak again, intending to give a quick 'thank you' in reply, but Oliver managed to win the race to do something about the awkward silence threatening to completely overtake the interaction. She blinked, surprised at what he said after.

"You haven't started your classes yet? I-" She cut herself off, fairly certain she didn't know enough about the various enrollment programs Beacon had to really offer any insight on that. Besides, he'd brought up a more pressing subject. Her 'sparring problem'.

"...maybe. I know I'm going to have to face my fears eventually anyway. Have you ever... had a sparring accident before? Like... seen someone get really badly hurt? Aura usually prevents issues but every once in a while something really unexpected can happen," she said. She wasn't really afraid to talk about her own experiences on the subject. Being needlessly mysterious about these things usually just invited prying and further questions anyway.
As long as you have me.

Oliver Hughs
1st Semester

Post by Oliver Hughs » Wed Apr 18, 2018

Oliver would wear a small frown on his face as Telu alluded to the root of her issue with sparring. So she'd accidentally hurt someone in a spar? That's what he inferred from what she was telling him after trying to add 'two' and 'two' together at least. He couldn't help but hesitate to answer her question because he felt like even if something like that did happen he wasn't entirely sure how he would react himself. Sure he'd feel bad for a bit, he thought - but it would more than likely have been an accident. So he couldn't imagine being entirely remorseful. He wondered briefly if that made him a bad person. Did it? He hoped not. Oh well, all he was certain of was that he'd not know for sure unless a similar situation became a reality for him. He didn't like hypothetical's in the first place anyways...

"Well, ahhh...no. I know things can get crazy sometimes and accidents happen, but I'd be lying if I said I've ever seen a terrible sparring accident happen" he'd admit almost apologetically. The boy tried to imagine how bad it must have been to shock and traumatize Telu so deeply that she'd grow to have an aversion to a part of training that was essential, in his own mind at least, to the very profession they were pursuing...

He had this nagging urge to ask her about it, but was afraid she'd clam up on him if bad memories were prodded at - and then promptly changed his mind and threw caution to the wind when he opened his mouth again. The worst that would happen, he figured, was they'd just change the subject. It wasn't like she'd get offended, right? Right. He really hoped she didn't.

"What happened?" he'd ask bluntly, head cocked to the side curiously and doing his best to not seem insensitive about it.
#8A9A5B, Speaking
#C7EA46, Thinking

Telu Satou
1st Semester

Post by Telu Satou » Thu Apr 19, 2018

"I had a sparring match against a boy who fought with a longsword along with shorter blades created from ice dust back in Signal. He was very good... I had a slight advantage as long as I could keep him at a distance, but my instructors wanted me to get more hands on close quarters experience, so I guess that's why they put me up against someone as fast as him. I did my best to repel his offensive and create some openings. I'm... I'm honestly not as strong of a close quarters duelist as I want to be yet. I'm told my style is suitable for fighting Grimm, but too predictable and reliant upon my opponent making mistakes to be well-suited to fighting human opponents," she let out a sigh as she recounted the tale. She had ended up completely on the defensive that day. She could barely get a strike in edgewise. The boy had shown her no mercy, and that was to be expected. Other students did and she often won when that happened. She shook her head, looking over to Oliver, lips pursed to the side as she got to the dramatic part.

"I started trying to rely on my semblance - my goal was to try and catch his blade with a vortex and use that to keep him from making followup attacks. But he knew my fighting style and predicted it, so even when I caught his blade I usually had to let go again to not end up overcommitting to my counterattack and getting punished for it. Between using my aura constantly to defend, I was approaching the red zone. An instructor was probably less than a second away from calling the match when it happened," she looked down at her middle, briefly contemplating showing the scar before deciding it would be wildly inappropriate here.

It hadn't been her opponent that'd been injured. It'd been her.

"Overuse of my semblance, the speed of my opponent's followup attack, poor maneuvering on my part, and maybe a slight lack of response time on our match supervisor's behalf lead to me taking an unprotected strike to my side after a sudden and unexpected collapse of my aura. I guess my spirit and my resolve just..." She shook her head, not proud at all to admit that she believed it was mostly her own fault for taking the strike. It was what it was, though. She couldn't change the past, she could just try to be more careful in the future.

"...I guess I gave up at the worst possible time. It was a demoralizing fight, and... mm. The blade struck me here," she pointed at her side, about level with her bellybutton.

"It cut about this far into me," she said. She was pointing very very close to her bellybutton now. In other words, she'd been cut wide open at her middle - a blow that likely should have been fatal. She was lucky to be in one piece. She knew it.

"Signal has instructors with top-of-the-line medical training but even after being immediately cared for and taken to a hospital the verdict was that I'd gotten lucky. I lost consciousness from the blood loss and trauma, but when I came to I was..." She hesitated. Maybe this was getting a little too personal now.

Nah, she'd come this far.

"I was ready to drop out that same day. I'd never been hurt like that in my life. It was scary. It made me question all my beliefs about being a huntress. It's easy to get caught up in romantic legends and stories, thinking that huntressing will just be one adventure after another, fighting monsters, winning, getting the gratitude of villagers everywhere. But they don't tell as many stories about the huntresses that don't make it. That end up in a fight they can't win, and can't run from. The idea of being nothing more than a cautionary tale still scares me sometimes," she looked back up at Oliver, exhaling a breath but doing her best to show some resolve in her expression. She could still be strong. She was still alive, after all.

"I'm doing my best to conquer my fears and be stronger for my experiences... but I'd be lying if I said it didn't scare me."
As long as you have me.