Priest Panic (Private) [Mature]

The kingdom of Vacuo holds a school for students to become warriors with less expectations on appearances and more expectations on skill.
Reid Teach
Professor
Race: Human
Weapon: Leviathan
Semblance: Breakdown

Post by Reid Teach » Tue Jul 18, 2017

((This thread was made with the permission and aid of Ciara Megido for the purpose of spreading the lore she created.))

If you had grown up in Vale, or Atlas, you might not know that the sun had a sound. An ever present song that chirped in your ear with a beating heat. Perhaps you would say that the sun is not what creates that sound, and it was instead various insects mating calls. If you knew much of the desert, you knew this factual logic meant little. The song of the sun didn't care about factual logic. It cared about an attempt to render everything beneath it uninhabitable by mankind. This was the home of the mad, the wild, the city state of Vacuo. A metropolis nobody would consider as such. Where mother nature wielded a spiked club and pocket sand. Where being cool was both impossible and the norm.

Reid somehow, made this atrocity of a place work. The native Atlesian, one would think he had never even seen the snow. Sunglasses perched upon his face, his signature hat the only thing he still had about him. The rest of his attire had been swapped out for a red linen and leather vest with strings holding it partially closed over the lack of an undershirt. Undershirts were just more clothing to make you hot. Yes sunburns existed but those were for the weak and not Reid. His cutlass sat comfortably upon a leather belt holding up red and blue high water pants made of the same stuff his vest was. Sand kicked up around the man and poured through the wrappings of faded blue sandals. Sand that came with a wind that licked at all those scurrying about.

Tents rose up all around, many others already in place. Not a few days ago this town had popped up. Moving on after their old home was attacked by grimm, the townspeople went about rebuilding their home again. The tents would eventually give way to stone buildings and walkways would be paved by more than foot. This town in building was their next stop on a long trip in search of ghosts. Which, if one was looking for a specter, why not look to religion? If you wanted to then luck have you. This priest made himself rather difficult to track. That was, until you learned of his record. Which, Reid always did.

"Maybe we should find an uh, bar tent. It looks like a sandstorm is coming in. Unless you want to go through one of those again? I am not sure I heard my fill of complaints about it's pains last time. Or the whole week after." Casting half a gaze behind him, Reid did not slow for the wolf. Even if she were to suddenly lose him in her curiosity she would handle herself. "Come to think of it, you haven't seen a town being created here yet have you? It is an interesting sight the first time." One could wonder how a people even made a town from the things they scrambled together here. Random stone houses thrown together, tents, even a rare few large vehicles in some cases. Vale did not really let one know the experience of moving home and town so commonly.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Terra Fennel
Professor
Race: Faunus
Weapon: Chosen Fates
Semblance: Aura Manipulation

Re: Priest Panic (Private) [Mature]

Post by Terra Fennel » Mon Jul 24, 2017

Sand tickled and uncomfortably warmed her toes through the scant protection of her sandals with every step. It irritated and scratched, drove the blonde wolf mad. Such that she intended to dye out the "sandy" color of her hair the first chance she got back in Vale. The way her hair was already growing lighter showed the sun was more than willing to help with the way it beat down on travelers in its domain. While she no longer looked less prepared than the huntsman she was shadowing, her inability to adapt quickly to the punishing heat of the Vacuon desert evident both in the way she moved and the heavy breathing that sounded too much like a dog panting even to her own ears.

Despite her efforts to dress cooler, at much prodding of the sky pirate, she'd found little reprieve through clothing. The girl looked like a native in the way she dressed; from the wide brimmed hat that her lupine ears poked through, the tight fitting halter that exposed her midriff itself was more a trade for the barest modesty at the cost of not letting the air running over more of her skin cool her, and the skirt, the skirt was a lie that made the desert a liar. Long, flowing down to her ankles, and made out of a fabric she was convinced was woven from silken air with how light it was, she still, so many miles later couldn't believe how light it was, how well it blocked the heat of the sun and sand. She could even feel the desert winds through the fabric... Desert winds that threatened yet again to swallow them in a storm of whipping, stinging sand.

Her first sandstorm had been a wake up call. They'd survived it, two dust casters, one a true master in the field had little to fear of the elements, but the elements did well to remind them of their place. There were some places sand should never end up. The sand storm had found them all. "Another? Another sand storm. Why can't sand and stone behave like a good little element and leave moving around to the wind? Why does it feel the need to be the world's most obnoxious tag-a-long?" The humor of the situation was not lost on her. She herself was a tag-a-long for this mission. A mission that despite her complaints and sometimes wonder at the new experiences she hadn't forgotten.

Neither had she forgotten the lesson of the first sandstorm. There was no outrunning them, and as tempting as it was to just create an icy barrier around herself and say forget this whole mess, that might not last long enough. She wasn't about to disagree with Reid this time. He'd let her learn that lesson the hard way. She'd never live down some of that mess, but that's what made it a good lesson? At least that's what he'd probably say. "A bar sounds good." Her words seemed distant, the wolf distracted. Something new, something unique had caught her eye.

While the lesson was not forgotten, the immediate threat was for a few moments as golden eyes watched the people around them working. It was so strange. There was a camaraderie between the people here as each person quickly set to their task and helped those who couldn't. While it was a wonder itself to see a small village of tents practically spring up around the two of them, Terra had to fight the urge to help them. Not that they needed it. The inexperienced medic would just get in their way, but it brought a small smile to her face to see humans, and even the occasional faunus bring a village to life before her eyes. "This is a normal thing? I-" Looking towards her traveling partner she tried to wipe the look of an awestruck child off her face. "Shelter. Shelter and drinks are important...Um. You can probably tell which one is the tent we want. I'll just follow you."
"It's easy to hurt and kill. When you've saved lives then you can call yourself a hero." ~Terra Fennel #9932CC
For all intents and purposes during RP, this character is a student aide.

Reid Teach
Professor

Post by Reid Teach » Tue Aug 01, 2017

"Sand is like you. It is light, coarse, moves around a lot, is hard to get rid of, and seeks out places you'd rather it not." Smiling to himself with a pleased little smirk, Reid watched the people of the town move about. Going into all sorts of tents, half built homes, and portable arrangements, they prepared for the incoming devil. Of course Terra was right. He could quite easily tell which was which. "Come on "Beryl", let's get you to a place where you won't be turned any more featureless than you already are." A tone that spoke of familiarity and mock flowed freely from the summoner to match his everything else. Waving Terra along he made for the safety they sought.

The soft repeated shifting of sandals on warm sand soon gave way to clacks of stone. Before them stretched a ravine, a gauge in the shifting swaths of empty land around them. Surrounded with stone and sparse angry plant life. Looking down below it wouldn't take a genius to tell that this was a common home for the floodwaters of the desert. The ground inside it pummeled and rounded by rushes tides so repeatedly that they seemed to have given in on taking any true form. Near them and this wound in the desert was a long tall cream colored tent up against an outcropping of stone. A hill that seemed split in half just for the tent to have a sort of wall to it's back. The front flaps stayed open only for people to enter and leave, lest they let a stray breeze in for too long. Fresh air was a wonder for the desert heat but a nightmare when a sandstorm was moving in. Pushing the heavy fabric apart, Reid waltzed in, eyes scanning the place with a lazy edge. Tables sat about, wood, hardy but cheap. It seemed most of the people were out working, much less afraid of the storm, and likely going to take up safety within the places nearest to them when it hit. This was a place for rest and most were all too busy now.

Most except for what seemed to be a sleeping man slumped over a table with a half finished glass of a green demon. Him, and the bartender, sitting before a shiny counter top easily made of the same quality as the tables. Behind him racks filled with barrels and bottles, likely setup as one of the very first things this new town had done two days ago. The man behind the counter a big man, with big arms, and big eyes that shot directly into your own. He seemed friendly, but he wasn't without his caution. The man was also not without his attraction. Like a hulking bear who would hug you into a warm, cozy, back breaking embrace. Eyebrows raised and Reid stood a little taller than his notably average height.

Walking up to the bar, and looking up at the even bigger man than before, Reid gave his best little roguish smile. "Hello there Teddy. Do you have any rum for me, and uh, whatever she wants." Reid could pretty easily order for Terra but he also knew she could be indignant about her little decisions. Besides he had bigger fish to fry and knowledge to seek out. A delicate clink of glass on wood was followed by the pouring of liquid into Reid's senses. The sound of rum hitting glass being a truly magnificent thing.

"So, are you stupid, or looking for somebody? Because ain't nobody showing up in a new town after it popped up not two days ago without being stupid or looking for somebody. If it's stupid, I want to know the story. If it's looking for somebody, well I hope you ain't expecting me to out somebody living in my own town." Heft, muscle, calm, kindness, and danger resonated within his voice as he spoke. The bartender obviously was not one to play games of pretend with travelers. Especially ones showing up at such an odd time.

Terra Fennel
Professor

Post by Terra Fennel » Thu Aug 10, 2017

Teasing words with their double meanings reached furred ears and brought a smile to help edge away the wonder from such a new experience around her. Words that should have left her insulted and annoyed instead filled her with a sense of pride that she explained to the man who hadn't asked. "At least I'm pleasant about it when I want to be, only scratching when it's called for. Hmph. I don't think sand could be pleasant if it tried." The wolf gave a second glance over her shoulder to those still working. The desire to help was strong, for her. Not so strong that she was about to get off track. They had a task to do, one that her alias did plenty to remind her of. That and the sun really did seem to be trying to burn her into a paper doll.

With wide eyes still taking everything in, the wolf dutifully followed. Gold rolled over everything it could take it; plants that brandished swords, spears, and poisons at those that might dare to try to take a bite or find a drink within their waxy flesh; stones that having been shaped by the elements still stood in some form ready for more of the same as if a constant duel of the desert; people, like herself and Reid, that were busy building or seeking shelter like that of the tent nestled against the rocks. It all carried a single theme, something that had stood out even as Terra had stumbled across a set of bones belonging to an unfortunate soul the desert had swallowed so shortly into their journey, life and death were at the center of everything here. It wasn't something to be dreaded though, it just was. Life was to be celebrated and protected, while death seemed to just be accepted. It always lingered, but there wasn't fear for it. It simply was.

A slender hand held her hat in place as she bowed her head and pushed through the tent flaps. The wide brimmed thing would tug uncomfortably on her ears if she didn't and it brushed against practically anything. A lesson she'd learned the hard way. A splash of color caught her eye as she followed close behind her travel partner. That green liquid looked vile and delightful all at once. Judging from how deep the man was in his cups, it wasn't a partner she wanted to dance with. She was watchful for a moment, trying to take a gauge of if the man was actually asleep, or if perhaps he'd succumbed to heat and alcohol. They were a dangerous combination, but one that she would happily indulge in. "I'll have a stout. The deeper and sweeter the better, but I'm not picky."

It wasn't her eyes doing most of the work as she took a seat at the bar. Her fingers enjoyed the feeling of the bar, even if it was cheap wood. She wasn't so knowledgeable of woodwork she could name it, but what she could recognize was its sturdiness despite being well worn under her fingertips. More interestingly was the scent of the bar. The smell of sand and desert heat was ever present, and to be expected was the scent of people. The sharp scent of those who had been baked by the sun. With water such a precious thing in the desert it was a scent she had become more comfortable with, one far less unpleasant. It spoke of life and work. "Thanks." The sound of her own glass being filled with a dark brown beer brought a smile to her face, one that she tried not to let vanish at the sound of the barkeep's voice. It was faint, but there was the presence of a thread in his tone. There was much more, but the feeling that maybe things could go sour did cross her mind. "Well, I'd think being caught in a sandstorm unprepared counts as stupid..." She hoped she could be somewhat disarming. She didn't exactly appear threatening.
"It's easy to hurt and kill. When you've saved lives then you can call yourself a hero." ~Terra Fennel #9932CC

Reid Teach
Professor

Post by Reid Teach » Thu Aug 17, 2017

Casting a glance from Terra to the large burly bear of a man, Reid tilted his head and his glass at her comment. "She's not wrong." Eyes pointed along with everything else at the bartender, the summoner let his sharp gaze linger, bringing the drink to his lips without moving his focus. It took a little work to drink without breaking the look of "She is technically correct" he was giving but it was definitely worth it. The occasionally blinking stare of the bartender meeting the two idiots as Reid took a far too long drink from his glass. A hollow tap on wood was the final note to the huntsmen's little game. "A priest. We are here for a priest. Specifically one who doesn't belong here." Reid's hand spoke alongside his words. From pointing at the bartender, to the air around him, to vague waving that meant nothing. All of which the bartender seemed more than use to as his eyes stayed on the two, even as he filled the glass again, and got Terra her drink.

"You aren't expecting me to hand over a priest who came to help us after our town got destroyed are you? Because if you are then you really aren't very use to Vacuo. No matter how strong you are, I doubt many here would let any harm come of the old man." The full weight of the man creaked and disagreed with the wood that supported his hands pressed firmly to them.
Waving his own hand around to bat away the suspicions in the air, Reid gave a laugh. "No no no. We are archeologists. Recorders of history and religions. We came to speak to the priest because as far as we have been told, he is fairly... How should I put it. Willing, to share the story of his religion. We would like to hear it. Unless you'd rather him talk all of your ears off instead." Smirking none too shyly at his remark, Reid returned to drinking from this glass. Albeit, a bit less exaggeratedly this time. The quizzical look of the Bartender swept across them both, taking in whether they were liars or just weird. Well, if they were liars and weird. Luckily for Reid, technically he wasn't lying about wanting to just hear the man's story and get information about it from him.
"So you are telling me a guy who looks like he is made of questionable intent and alcohol, along with a chibi wolf in a sun hat, are here to learn about some old man's religion." This bartender had obviously heard more believable strange stories.

Terra Fennel
Professor

Post by Terra Fennel » Tue Aug 22, 2017

The wolf let the pirate play his game of hard stares and long drinks while she sipped at the delight in a glass, the bitter drought with a deep sweet flavor did much to wash the grit of the road from her tongue. Washed of sand maybe her words wouldn't cut like glass if she needed to say anything. It wouldn't exactly be a lie to wish she wouldn't have to, or that she'd feel the need. The feeling of being out of place when it came to questioning people grew whenever it happened, but she'd managed well enough. It was so much easier with something delicious on her tongue, a distraction from the awkward looks. If it didn't remind her of how irritating the desert was, she may have giggled at the line about them being archaeologists. It wasn't exactly false considering the amount of sand she's had to brush out of her tail.

That didn't stop the bartender from having his doubts about the two. "You know, he's not wrong. At least I'm cute in my sun hat though." The slight hint of a smile as she motioned at the barkeep. "We'd probably have found him twice over by now and I'd be done with this report if you didn't have a knack for finding every bar on the way." There was a short laugh that was followed by a tired sigh. "Look, I've got sand in places that no lady should ever have to worry about having sand. The sooner we find this man and have him to talk the fur off my ears, the sooner I can sit down with more of this delightful drink and a pen in hand." Perhaps looking like she absolutely didn't belong on the road would hopefully play to their advantage. If nothing else though, they did know the priest was here. They truly didn't mean him any harm even as far as she knew, so that meant maybe some rest and enjoyment while they were here.