Wrong Turn On A One-Way Street (Private: Nym Magenta)

Your everyday shopping goods and items for sale can be found here. Ranging from clothing, weapons, accessories, food and beverages, bars and clubs, vehicle purchases, and the recently targeted industry Dust shops.
Telu Satou
1st Semester
Race: Human
Weapon: Grand Chocolatier & Dame Blanche
Semblance: Vortex

Re: Wrong Turn On A One-Way Street (Private: Nym Magenta)

Post by Telu Satou » Mon Apr 16, 2018

Aah, there was a look she recognized. Hunger. Actually, no, that look had been there all along she was pretty sure. Maybe it wasn't hunger in Nym's eyes. Or maybe it was, and the thought of tiramisu was just adding to it? The possibility that Nym's hunger might have been for a short, raven-haired farm girl sitting across from her hadn't been even remotely close to dawning yet. Well, she didn't have to understand! There were few better ways to bond with someone than by eating desserts with them! Telu turned her eyes back down to the menu. Maybe there was something... okay, she'd just have milk with her tiramisu- ooooh, they had baked custard pudding... with melted caramel... bavarian cream crumb pastries...? Baked alaska ice cream, mochi and sata andagi! There were soooo many delicious-looking things on this menu!

Telu was practically salivating as she looked at the menu. Maybe the maid schtick was worth enduring for such a diverse dessert menu...

"I'm going to die here. And I'll be happy when I do, because wow... there's so many things here that look good." She bit her lip before her brightly lit sea-green eyes flicked back up to Nym in an expression laced with intense desire and need. The poor girl wanted everything on that damn menu.

"...I... sorry, I got distracted. I'm... heh, I'm not sure what makes me interesting, but okay. I'll roll with it! So, um... Nym. What about me interests you? Is that a weird thing to ask?" She paused for a moment before a rather untoward question left her lips.

"And can you even afford to eat here?" It was weird. After she said that, it was like everything in the room went quiet. A second or two passed and Telu's face went utterly red, like she'd just confessed to something horribly embarrassing. She had just meant to ask that to see if it'd be appropriate to offer to treat her. Instead it'd come out... like that.

"I'm sorry, that was a dumb question, I don't... I don't know why I'd ask something like that."

It was because Nym was a faunus.

"You wouldn't be here if you couldn't, right? Hahah!" She laughed awkwardly, raising a hand and rubbing the side of her neck. Not only was Nym a faunus, but she also seemed to always be wearing the same clothes and had a reputation as a bit of a misfit. That didn't have to mean she was from a broken home though, right? Just because she was a... delinquent-like faunus from Mistral didn't mean she was poor...

...who'd make an assumption like that? Telu wasn't racist! Nope!
Last edited by Telu Satou on Mon Apr 16, 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Idle (Maroma Samsa) - / Combat (Meatball Submarine) - / Main (UFO) -
Sticks and stones won't break our bones...
As long as you have me.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Nym Magenta
4th Semester
Race: Faunus
Weapon: Whisper
Semblance: Foresight

Post by Nym Magenta » Mon Apr 16, 2018

Nym would not have minded dying in that sweet shop. Death by sugar didn't sound like the worst way to go. She'd seen much worse. Telu's comments on sugar brought a bit of a genuine smile to Nym's face. Passionate people being passionate about the things they liked were cute. It didn't hurt when they were cute to begin with. She didn't immediately answer Telu's question about what was so interesting about her. The answer was simple and Nym wasn't sure it was the time to delve into that. It could end their encounter rather quickly if she was forward about it.

Then Telu said something that cut through Nym's thoughts. Was she able to afford eating here? It was an innocent enough question, if it was phrased a little differently. If Nym had just come running out of the rain into a five star restaurant that would have been a fair question. It didn't sound fair, though. She tilted her head slightly and raised one eyebrow at Telu before the other girl's face flared up. Looks like she realized what she said was pretty racist! Clearly she regretted it, and clearly she wasn't trying to hurt Nym's feelings.

The apology would have been enough. Acknowledging the question was dumb was much better than Nym normally got, but the blush was a nice touch. Nym put one elbow on the table, gently, and leaned one of her cheeks against her fist. Amused, was where her emotions had landed. "You'rrrrrre...cyyyyute. All's forgiven, love." It sounded like she was trying not to laugh. "You don' 'ave t'beat yerself up ova' it, eh? I'm plenty familiar with accidentally sayin' stupid things, I do it all th'time."

It could have been the result of Telu making some unsavory assumptions about Nym's upbringing. It could have been a botched attempt to offer to pay for her food. There were a lot of things it could have been, but malicious was far from it, and Nym was now in the business of trying to give people the benefit of the doubt. "To answer yer earlier question." Nym liked the red on Telu's face. Maybe this would help keep it there. "The eyes n' the hair really caught my attention, but that, whole," Nym gestured at Telu's face and the hand rubbing the side of her neck, "apology really hit it home. I do not regret sittin' down 'ere."
'Thoughts and feelings.'

"Verbal communication."

No one ever had much nice to say / I think they never liked you anyway!

Telu Satou
1st Semester

Post by Telu Satou » Mon Apr 16, 2018

...yeah, Nym wasn't stupid. She wouldn't have been a Beacon student if she was stupid. There was no way she wouldn't catch the implications of Telu's plainly stated ignorance. She felt ridiculous... and wow, it was like someone cranked up the heat in the dining room. She almost started to fan at her face.

...but Nym didn't seem inclined to hold it against her. Thank the heavens for that. Telu gave pause, though, as the red on her face was slow to fade away. Was Nym making fun of her for her floundering? Well, now Telu kind of had it coming didn't she? It wouldn't have been surprising. But then she commented on her eyes - this had happened before - as well as her hair. It didn't seem like Nym was poking fun at her... Telu's eyes didn't have anything wrong with them, and her hair was maybe a little messy and unkempt compared to some of the extraordinary styles she'd seen other girls commit to, but she didn't think it was bad.

It was something about the way Nym's last words about not regretting sitting with her that maybe started to make it dawn on her what was going on here. Sure enough, just as the fox planned, Telu's face remained pretty pink.

"Ah... th-thank you."

Stop stuttering! You're a huntress-to-be, not a mouse!

"You're being... really nice and understanding with me. Uh, whether you can pay or not... why don't you let me treat you to make up for being insensitive? I haven't spent much of my stipend so far this month anyway. It's been um... books and studies mostly. Part of why I don't think I'm very interesting..." She trailed off at that, genuinely unsure what to say. Different parts of her logical mind were arguing. Maybe Nym just found her uncertainty endearing? Maybe she was flirting with her. If Nym had been a boy, Telu already knew what she'd be assuming about this! Assuming anything different now that she was thinking about it almost felt like a double-standard in action, and Telu could be progressive! Just because she was from a farm didn't mean she wasn't able to keep up with a modern world!

Telu was fairly certain a girl had never flirted with her in her life, though. In fact, up until recently, not many boys did either. Had she changed somehow since graduating Signal? She was pretty sure she was still the same short girl with awkward mannerisms, minimalistic makeup, and a pear-shaped figure with practically no upper body assets to speak of. She wasn't even really in shape as much as she'd have liked compared to Nym! Did everyone's standards just start to lower once they hit the academy?

She was being dramatic. Like... 3 people had hit on her since she'd come to Vale, it wasn't 'everyone'. It just seemed like 'everyone' because it was 3 more people than she remembered flirting with her the previous year. Felix had a way of pointing out when people were flirting when she otherwise didn't see things that way. Felix would have probably said that Nym was flirting with her.

"I uh... sorry if I'm being weird. I'm really not good at taking compliments. Especially about my appearance. Especially from um... someone like you," she said, initially not realizing how readily this could be misinterpreted. She hastily added onto her sentence about a half-second later.

"I mean someone that's... you know, really fit. You look like you've been hitting the gym since you were old enough to walk. I'm uh... still a work in progress on that front." To be fair, she wasn't used to compliments from faunus or from girls that were into girls either. Sun moon and stars, she felt like she was being so awkward. But maybe that was what the fox faunus wanted... maybe she needed to get a grip! Drake, after all, seemed to thrive on her reactions to his playful poking and flirting back when her secondary dorm had been assigned. Maybe Nym was the same breed of person, and she'd lose interest in teasing if Telu just calmed down.

Yeah. She could be calm. Just... as soon as her face cooled down...

"...I'll get a... a maid for us to place an order with as soon as you know what you want," Telu finally said, raising her menu to hide her face for a moment. She still surreptitiously peered over the menu here and there at Nym, but she wasn't very good at not being obvious about it.
Last edited by Telu Satou on Mon Apr 16, 2018, edited 1 time in total.
As long as you have me.

Nym Magenta
4th Semester

Post by Nym Magenta » Mon Apr 16, 2018

Nym almost felt guilty for putting Telu on the spot. She didn't seem like a particularly exceptional girl at all. There were scores of more athletic women all over Vale and Beacon. Telu wasn't out of shape, but she wasn't cut from marble like Nym was. From the sounds of it, she was a bit of a nerd! Or socially inept! That seemed more likely for someone who grew up on a farm. She may not have cut an imposing figure, but her eyes...Nym was starting to sound like a broken record, but they were very pretty! Her hands itched. She wanted to hop the table and give Telu a kiss. She wanted to pull out her sketchpad and draw. She wanted to...hm...eat. She definitely wanted to eat now that free food was being offered to her.

"You don' 'ave t'do that."

What?! What had she just said?!

"I appreciate it, but you don' 'ave t' 'pologize t'me by way'a dessert." Nym giggled a very genuine giggle. "Yer a far cry from the most insensitive person I've eva' met. You apologizin' t' me is wayyyy better'n I'm used to. So don' worry about it. Unless yer really tryin' t'piss me off, I ain't gonna bite." A short pause. "Unless ya want me to." She muttered very quietly. Telu could pretend she hadn't heard that one if it was too much.

Nym raised her eyebrows at Telu's second nearly racist comment, but the quick clarification drew a quick exhale of breath through her nose and a smirk. "Yer not bein' weird. Well...maybe a little weird, but s'just enough weird t'be good. Like...puttin' cinnamon in cookies, yeah? Too little n' y'can't tell it's there, too much n' all y'can taste's the cinnamon." That wasn't all that bad if you were eating cinnamon rolls, though. "Y'jus' need practice, eh? You'll get plenty'a cute girls flirtin' with ya if ya stick 'round Beacon long enough." Nym tapped her chin thoughtfully, as if she didn't know what she was doing. "Or, did you mean the otha' thing, like, yer workin' on yer fitness? Wouldn' worry 'bout that. If yer fit 'nuff t'get inta' Beacon, then you def'nitely ain't unattractive."

Nym wasn't sure if she was laying it on too thick. It was difficult to tell with the shy ones just how much attention would hit their breaking point. She could definitely through Telu a bone, though. Conversation wouldn't last long if it was one hundred percent flirting.

"Say, I got an idea," Nym nodded at Telu. "You buy my dessert, n' I'll draw yer portrait. I don' 'ave t'feel guilty 'bout takin' advantage'a yer kindness that way."
'Thoughts and feelings.'

"Verbal communication."

Telu Satou
1st Semester

Post by Telu Satou » Tue Apr 17, 2018

Telu blinked at Nym's refusal, but that wasn't the part that really caught her attention. It was the insinuation that Nym was accustomed to being mistreated. She didn't feel like that was exactly an appropriate thing to joke about, but she had no idea how to read or interpret Nym thus far. It managed to only make Telu feel worse for her social misfires thus far in this interaction despite her uncertainty. She slumped slightly where she sat, her eyes staring at the menu but not focusing on any particular image or set of words. It was a good thing she did that though, because she probably made a really ridiculous face at Nym's talk of biting. She was pretty sure she heard her say that anyway. The 'unless you want me to'? Maybe she was just paranoid because of this whole thing with Nym seeming interested-interested in her...

...This didn't make any sense though! Surely Nym would've said or done something sooner if she was actually interested in her. This thought was a little sobering. Yeah, Nym hadn't come out this way for her, this was just a coincidence and Nym was poking fun at her... comparing her demeanor and level of weirdness to cinnamon of all things. She slowly lowered her menu to peer over at Nym with initially narrowed, slightly suspicious-looking eyes as the fox spoke on.

"Y'jus' need practice, eh? You'll get plenty'a cute girls flirtin' with ya if ya stick 'round Beacon long enough."

Woaah, woah-woah-woah-woaaahh, woah. Okay, back it up a bit! What the heck did Telu say that brought that on? Where was that coming from? Her eyes widened in shock for a moment before she lowered the menu and furrowed her brow. Nym was... just messing with her! She was trying to tease her or something. Still, she was really struggling to come up with a retort to these words, so Nym was free to just keep on conversing until she finished her proposal.

"I... you... I'm not... yeah, I was just talking about fitness. I didn't mean to imply..." She exhaled a huff of air, suddenly seemingly irritated, her eyes closing for a moment as she set down her menu and got her bearings. She wanted to sound serious! She didn't like being jerked around, and if she just acted the shrinking violet then people would just go thinking they could tease her until she was red in the face and ashamed to leave her dorm if she let them. She needed to stop letting people do that to her!

"Deal, but I'll settle for you stopping making fun of me. I'm actually pretty sensitive about this stuff!" So much for sounding serious. Instead she sounded like she pouting. "Every person that's flirted with me so far has been either a jerk or a little on the weird side, and let's be honest. Look at me. I'm... I don't have much going on. I'm pretty plain, and I know it. People have told me that before, so it's not news to me!" She remembered when she asked a boy to a Sadie Hawkins dance... through a friend... and felt her heart crack a little bit at hearing him say those exact words about her. She was plain, and... that was fine now! She was here to be a huntress! Felix could be the one that attracted all the boys! Er... girls! Well, maybe both. Whatever.

"A portrait sounds fun and all, but you don't have to do that. Like I said, I'm... pretty plain.. so yes, anyway... you should let me buy you something so I'll feel better about being mean earlier. 'Cause I was, even if I didn't mean to be!" Her lips twitched. She was being a baby about this, and she knew it. But everyone seemed to think it was fun to mess with her and she didn't want to keep... enabling it!

...maybe Nym was actually interested in her though, and wasn't just messing with her? Maybe she herself was the one being insensitive.

...nah. No way.
As long as you have me.

Nym Magenta
4th Semester

Post by Nym Magenta » Wed Apr 18, 2018

She'd said deal, so a deal it was. Nym reached into her jacket and pulled out a weathered sketchbook. A nondescript mechanical pencil was in her hand almost immediately and she opened it up to a blank page. It was dual-purpose, this proposal. More and more, drawing was becoming fun for Nym. She'd received enough positive feedback on her creations that confidence was starting to build in her ability. There would never be a day where her work was featured in museums or galleries, but it would always be fun. She'd always be able to surprise people by drawing an almost exact likeness of them.

"What makes ya think I'm makin' fun'a ya?" The question was asked in earnest. Nym had a pretty good idea of how Telu might be interpreting the words she was saying, but...making fun of her? That wasn't the objective! Provoking a reaction, sure, but she didn't think ill of Telu. Effort was being actively made to apologize for being inconsiderate. Sure, she had said a couple of racist things, but that happened when you lived a sheltered life. The mark of a decent human being was making up for that an admitting your mistakes. The world was in short supply of that kind of decency. Or so it seemed to Nym...

"I'm tellin' it true, I ain't tryin' t'make ya feel bad." She was going to start with Telu's eyes and build the rest of the sketch around it. Nym would have killed to have the right color pencil in that moment. Capturing the way the light caught her eyes would have to do. It was still very possible to make her eyes stand out with the right shading techniques.
'Thoughts and feelings.'

"Verbal communication."

Telu Satou
1st Semester

Post by Telu Satou » Wed Apr 18, 2018

Nym's question must have stricken the human girl across from her as a bit silly, as she couldn't help but exhale a soft breath that sounded a bit like a scoff that was trying to be polite. She sat down her menu and folded her arms over her chest, her brow still furrowed.

"Do you know my last name?" Telu asked, as though this question alone proved her entire point about Nym making fun of her. She'd have been impressed if Nym actually paid any more attention to her than any other person in the single class they had together. No, this meeting was a coincidence and Nym saying things about 'biting' her, among other comments (that in hindsight felt rather untoward now that she was thinking about it) was just an effort to tease her. She'd been in this exactly position before. She wasn't a fan. For all she knew, Nym was drawing a weird caricature of her that'd give her an overly huge nose and weird lips and tiny, slanty eyes or something. Maybe Nym's reputation was factoring into it a bit much.

More likely, Telu really was just as sensitive about being teased about this stuff as she said she was.
As long as you have me.

Nym Magenta
4th Semester

"What's knowin' yer last name got t'do with thinkin' yer interestin'?" Nym replied. It didn't make much sense to her, she wasn't merely acting. Was that something that normal people used as a measuring stick for interest? Knowing someone's last name? She'd only voluntarily given her last name to a small handful of people on Beacon. If anyone looked at the paperwork when she was admitted they'd see it, but to most everyone she was just 'Nym'. "Not rememberin' it from the first day'a class when we did roll call don' mean I think yer borin'. And, hey, at least I'm doin' better than Port at gettin' the way it's said right, eh?" Quite the feat considering her accent. "And, I know ya always sit close t'the exits so y'can leave fasta'. 'Cuz I do the same thing, heh." She didn't know for sure that's why Telu did it, but the girl always beat Nym to the best spots.

She was dodging the question, but the answer was probably obvious. Nym could barely remember the first names of half the students she interacted with. The only reason she knew Telu's was because they sat close together in class and she could see it written at the top of all of her papers. Not that Nym was trying to cheat! It was just in her field of view!

Her eyes came back up to stare into Telu's for a long moment. It was almost perfect. It would have been perfect if she'd managed to bring a turquoise pen with her, but that would have been an absurd amount of luck. She started to fill in more details. The hair was the next most important part, followed by nose, then mouth.
'Thoughts and feelings.'

"Verbal communication."

Telu Satou
1st Semester

Post by Telu Satou » Wed Apr 18, 2018

"Normally if you think someone's interesting you say hi to them or acknowledge them or try to learn their name at least. I don't think that's very weird." Telu's lips pursed to the side as she spoke. She had made up her mind. She was just someone convenient to tease while Nym was stuck here. Maybe they could still be friends someday, but she'd learned something important at least about Nym; taking things she said at face value was a risk. Yes, calling someone interesting was a nice thing to say, but just saying it for the sake of saying it was...

...she was hugely over-analyzing this, wasnt she? Why did she have to take it so personally? She already knew she was plain, so why was she acting like this was news? Telling Nym she didn't actually think Telu was interesting wouldn't accomplish anything. Maybe she was just analyzing this more because Nym was making comments about girls liking girls. Maybe that was why this was a sore subject. After all, it wasn't like Telu had any luck with boys. She wasn't sure she was eager to try girls over it though.

"...I just... sorry. I'm being silly. I'm just not used to people saying things like 'I'm interesting'. I guess I'm acting out a bit because a few boys have already teased me a bit because I'm easy to tease, and now I'm drawing parallels because you... said something about girls that like girls. That's all," she said with a sigh, uncrossing her arms. She shot a glance back to the nearest of the maid employees before looking back to Nym.

"...I'm ready to order if you know what you want," she added, her tone glum.
As long as you have me.

Nym Magenta
4th Semester

That glum look was cute, but it was pretty clear to Nym that she was laying it on too thick. If she continued to hit on Telu the girl was just going to get upset. The seeds of flirting had already been planted, over-watering them would just drown them! It would be better to let them percolate on their own for a while and throw the girl a rope. If Nym even knew how to do that. Her pencil skittered away on the page.

"Nah, nah, I get it, love. I know I ain't exactly, uh..." Nym bit her eraser thoughtfully. "The picture'a trustin' n' kind." That sounded about right, didn't it? "Also, boys 'round 'ere are...ugh, really somethin' else." That was not a hard line to deliver with honesty. Nym had yet to meet a single guy at Beacon that she truly wanted to be friends with. Maybe they put something nasty in the water.

"Sorry fer makin' ya sp-...mad," Spew? Telu wouldn't get that. No one in Vale would get that. "I'm ready t'orda'."
'Thoughts and feelings.'

"Verbal communication."