Take it Away (Private: Kaela Evental - Mature)

At the dorms you and your team mates will work together, build friendships and establish relationships, organize your goals and group projects, and just to rest and relax. Even the best Hunters and Huntress need their beauty sleep.
Ax L. Rose
4th Semester
Race: Faunus
Weapon: Electra Heart
Semblance: Affinity

Post by Ax L. Rose » Wed Mar 14, 2018

One thing after another. Maybe she wouldn't be finishing the song she started with her dear best friend in the near future after the week's earlier nonsense, but given that she already had the closet set up for recording some vocals anyway, she'd opted to go ahead and use it. She had a few background tracks she had lyrics for that she'd been putting off finishing, given the stress of schoolwork and all the other crap that'd been coming up... no time like the present to quit procrastinating on creative labors and start hammering out some of these unfinished songs.

Ax always preferred to try and vent her emotions creatively. It was better than smoking a pack of cigarettes (which she did already, whoops) or putting out the lit tip of a cigarette on skin (her wrist still hurt from yesterday - she wasn't sure why her aura hadn't mended it yet). This was like an exercise in trying to regain composure and return to healthier coping methods. Still, this arrangement didn't feel quite right to her. She sat in her dorm room with the door closed, but given the lack of proper soundproofing the sounds of her work could still be heard in the hall as people passed by. She was strongly considering showering, tying her hair back, and calling it a night early. She didn't know if she'd be doing anymore dealing with people that evening. Under different circumstances, maybe, but she was just... so tired.

"Are you the fool who will be king?
Or just a know-it-all who doesn't know a thing?
Small-time pretender takes the throne,
Now it's time for the truth to be known,
You can fake it all you want,
but you'll never rate above a cliché...

You can try, try, try,
But you're never gonna take it away!"

She'd re-recorded the chorus for this song a few times, but it still didn't sound quite right to her. Her voice was starting to feel a little raspy from the attempts. Maybe if she tried a different part...

Huge headphones were on her ears as she scooted in her desk chair from the microphone set up in front of her closet halfway across the room so that she was at her desk again. She panned through the arrangement on her studio software to a different part of the song. She was not only tired, but she was thirsty, she was hungry, and she also wasn't sure she wanted to go anywhere. The last thing she wanted to do was go out and be alone in public, but reaching out to anyone right now didn't feel quite right.

She scooted back to the microphone, using her scroll to control playback. She listened to the section a few times over again. This verse she was thinking of recording now was a repeat of an earlier part of the song, but the song was less energetic during this part. The drumbeat took center stage for now, but it'd be good for a more relaxed approach to the vocals. She had a line or two she wanted to change just a little bit too...

She paused, restarted, and then began her next take.

"You tricked yourself about the blood on your hands,
Your gun is loaded and we know where you stand,
You called the dogs and you left us for broke,
Now you're just somebody that I used to know!"

She wasn't sure why, but it just didn't feel right. From that verse, to the next... something was just off about it. She half wanted to scrap the whole thing and start over. With a frustrated sigh she pulled off her headphones. Why couldn't she just...

She lashed out and smacked the microphone, disconnecting the cord and immediately cracking part of the outer casing. She then pounded her fist on the stand she'd sat the microphone on; it gave under her fist, the wood breaking and folding inward. She let out a growl and then thrust a hand into her hair, tugging at the roots. Great, now she'd need to buy a new microphone...

She left the broken setup where it was, got up, walked over to her bed, and faceplanted, but not before grabbing her pillow and burying her face in it, screaming as loud as she possibly could until her throat felt raw. It didn't take much.
Last edited by Ax L. Rose on Thu Mar 15, 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Idle (The Right Way Around) - / Combat (Second Chance) - / Main (Kill the Lights) -
I'm gonna live, I'm gonna fly;
I'm gonna fail, I'm gonna die.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Kaela Evental
1st Semester
Weapon: Sylphrena
Semblance: Lashing and Tethering

Re: Take it Away (Private: Kaela Evental - Mature)

Post by Kaela Evental » Wed Mar 14, 2018

Kaela had plenty of time to consider what she was doing and fret about how it would sound. After the events in the dormitory common room with Lace and Roland, she was feeling calm. For the first time in a long while, there was no spike of pressure plaguing her. As a result, she had come up with this plan. Take the first person to ever try to help her with the matter out on a traditional hunt of thanks. That person was Ax, and as Kaela made her way towards the girl's dorm, she had plenty of jabs to throw at herself in regards to the matter. On and on, her cheerful side and her logical/cynical (some might say) waged a mental war. "You have to do this, you owe her so much...But what if she thinks it's stupid. You'll never live it down." The mental maelstrom continued into the hallway wherein Ax's room was located before Kaela suddenly felt an overwhelming fatigue and desire to simply lie down on the floor and scream herself to sleep.

Kaela needed a few moments to determine that these weren't her emotions. Having prior experience as well as feeling the intensity of the feedback, Kaela also knew that they could only have one source: Ax. Kaela staggered slightly under the onslaught but persevered, managing to make it to the door. Was it a bad time? Evidently. But could she really leave the woman like this? How could she reach Ax under all this stress? Kaela began to do something she had never done for anyone else. Something she did for herself in the times where she was lost in the pain; Kaela began to sing, cheer pushing back against the anger. In a voice untrained but melodic, she sang to Ax's door after giving it a light rapping with her knuckles.

"Death can't kill what never dies
And that's love, I see it in your eyes~
You write songs that make people feel inspired.
Feel it now, a little fire~
Cause this world's cold and this world's dark~
At any moment, your heart could be
ripped apart~
Both rag dolls, me and you
Stitched together through and through
I'll stand by you~
I'll stand by you."
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Talking

Ax L. Rose
4th Semester

Post by Ax L. Rose » Wed Mar 21, 2018

The sound of someone singing on the other end of her door made the bird faunus on the bed stop and forget where she was for a moment. It aligned with a new emotional presence - one equal parts nervous and uncertain blended with determined... sort of. 'Determination' was a bit of an abstract descriptor of whatever she was picking up. She probably interpreted that way thanks to the context of the scenario.

Ax pushed herself up from her bed, eyes narrowing suspiciously as she stepped to the door to greet the unfamiliar voice. Had it been a speaking voice, of course, she'd have recognized it. Given that she'd heard Kaela sing substantially less, it didn't register who Ax was hearing until the lock on her door unlatched and a single bright blue eye peeked through a crack in the doorway at the tall ram faunus on the other side. Ax seemed relieved at least to see a familiar face, judging from the way the emotional intensity radiating from her aura cooled down. She opened the door at little further so that Kaela could at least see her face.

"Kaela. H-hey. I didn't expect company." Ax admitted sheepishly, eyes averting for a moment. She'd have probably not been screaming into her pillow if she knew there was a chance someone outside her door might've heard it. Maybe Kaela didn't hear that part? She could hope.

"Uh, come in. Sorry if it's kinda messy." Ax stepped back to open the door to her room a bit wider. Sure enough, it was definitely a mess... inarguably more so than usual. Jackets, tops, thongs, and other wearables were strewn about charmlessly. Her makeshift recording booth - blankets and sheets strung up and hanging perpendicular to her closet - featured a cracked microphone and a partially broken wooden stand. The lights in her room were dim - the main light source was a desk lamp in the back of the room beside the window and above her desktop monitor, the rest of the light a cascade of different colors from an assortment of green wires shining with many-colored tiny little holiday bulbs. Guitars were set up on display on one wall. There wasn't any couches or stools - just a rather large king-sized mattress with messed up blankets and sheets that suggested the occupant was a rather restless sleeper. The walls were practically covered in band, video game, and television show posters.

She had no idea how long Kaela was stopping by, but she figured it wouldn't be long. If Kaela needed more than a little time, they could just take a walk elsewhere.
Idle (The Right Way Around) - / Combat (Second Chance) - / Main (Kill the Lights) -

Kaela Evental
1st Semester

Post by Kaela Evental » Tue Apr 03, 2018

Kaela could hear footsteps approaching the door and her voice faltered a little bit with apparent nervousness. When she heard the door unlatching, she stopped her song figuring that it had served its purpose. She smiled and tried to hide the relieved sigh that she exhaled as Ax's mental storm of emotions lessened slightly. The sheepish expression that Ax greeted her with, and her comment that she wasn't expecting company was evident enough. Kaela knew that perhaps the most proper thing to do to save Ax some face, was pretend that she hadn't heard the outburst. But Kaela wasn't exactly the best deceiver. From the sheepish way that she scratched her cheek, it would be quite evident she had heard the screaming...or at least felt the emotions. "I...thought you could use some company." She said, accepting Ax's invitation into her room.

The statement that Ax's room was somewhat of a mess was an understatement, yet Kaela didn't mind. In comparison to the strict discipline that she was taught to keep herself to, Ax's more carefree living style was...cozy. Instincutally, Kaela threw a wary glance around the room noting the cracked microphone and broken stand. That struck her, given Ax's love for singing and music, the state of those instruments might as well have been a cataclysm. Finishing her sweep of the room, Kaela found herself a small corner of space to clean up before Ax and stood there. Her gold/green eyes locked with the bird Faunus' own and rarely left them. "So...I had something to ask you... But uhm, do you maybe wanna talk about..." Kaela let the words hang, indicating the present circumstances.
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Talking

Ax L. Rose
4th Semester

Post by Ax L. Rose » Fri Apr 06, 2018

Ax wasn't sure what to make of the company. Her immediate conclusion from Kaela's words: someone had talked to her about what happened. Kaela thought that she could use some company huh? Whatever could have made her think that? Was it Nym? After all, Kaela and Nym were scar buddies now too, weren't they? Why did that thought strike her with so much bitterness? Why did she give a flying fuck about some nobody fox faunus like her?!

She exhaled a terse breath to try and vent a little of the bitterness in as innocuous a fashion as possible. Psitti and Kaela and every other fucking person in this school could have her. It wasn't her business anymore!

While Ax normally might not've had trouble meeting Kaela's gaze under circumstances, Ax didn't seem to be able to quite cool it completely, so as a result she ended up looking just about everywhere but Kaela's direction. She stepped across the room and found her bed, sitting down at the edge and raising a hand to rub her shoulder, eyes flicking over to Kaela in time to trace her gaze to the recording setup she'd just busted up.

"...talk about what, exactly?" Ax asked. The words came out a bit more accusatory than she'd meant for them to. Her aura was like a dull flame - it wasn't vibrant enough to draw a ton of attention, but it still could burn if someone got too close.

Kaela Evental
1st Semester

Post by Kaela Evental » Tue Apr 17, 2018

Kaela focused on the muting the feeling of irritability and frustration that came off Ax in waves. Her throat felt slightly dry and constricted as she concentrated on slipping back into the calm void. Her eyes remained on Ax, noting the unusual behavior. Normally her friend would look her straight in the eyes. But this time it seemed that she was glancing anywhere except for her. And when she talked, the simple question had an accusatory tone that Kaela had to deflect. She stepped just a tad closer and sat back on her haunches to be at eye-level with Ax. "...about the screaming maybe? Or the fact that your studio, which you've told me you love, is broken? Something is eating at my friend. I thought they might want to share. I thought...I might be able to help." She said, conveying an awkward but genuine concern for Ax.

Kaela's pursed lips lifted slightly into a small smile as she stretched out a hand. She simply meant to touch the girl's shoulder but her fingers stopped on the girl's aura. A heat burned her, and Kaela winced slightly as the pain flashed through her mind. She withdrew her hand, resuming her previous position and tried to mute the feeling of surprise that flickered briefly through her. Ax had closed herself off from her, and burned her when she got too close.

Talking

Ax L. Rose
4th Semester

Post by Ax L. Rose » Wed Apr 18, 2018

She knew she was being snappier than she should've. Kaela had never done her any wrong. It wasn't her fault that nothing was sacred to her so-called 'best friend'.

"...sorry. I... yeah. I'm just fucking pissed off about some shit that's gone down and it's affecting everything. I thought working on a song would help distract me but that's not really working. And I took it out on my poor fucking makeshift microphone stand. And the microphone itself..." She let out a huff as she jerked a finger over at the broken stand. "It's junk anyway, I needed a new one. I'll just... replace it. Head into town tomorrow, get a newer, better one..."

She hated the fact that Kaela had heard her screaming into her pillow. The whole point of screaming into a pillow was to make less of a scene. It was just another fuckup on a long list of fuckups. Still... Kaela wanted to help, huh? She had no idea if the tall ram faunus could actually help, but Kaela had never struck her as anything less than earnest before. The girl could try. Ax inhaled another deep breath and looked up at her directly. Maybe her inattention up until this point was for the better, because she didn't realize how close Kaela had gotten to her until she looked up from the floor. She would have very likely reacted badly to physical touch, judging from the way Ax scooted back slightly where she sat. This particular bird faunus was choosy and selective about the terms of physical contact.

"I don't mean to be a bitch. I'm good at it though, and old habits die hard. It's just bullshit... it's not fair for me to snap at you, so I'm sorry. It's friend stuff. Bitches trying to steal my friends kinda stuff. Said friends having no sense of decency or self-respect, and me not knowing whether to be worried or affronted. Do you agree with the idea that the things your friends do reflects on you? Along with the degree to which you tolerate it when you know it's bad?" Ax decided to ask a question to Kaela first, instead of rambling. She wasn't the type to get much catharsis out of a long rant, even if it was a trap she sometimes fell into. She didn't want to this time. Kaela was alright, but they weren't that close yet.

Kaela Evental
1st Semester

Post by Kaela Evental » Thu May 17, 2018

Kaela took Ax's apology with a measured nod and then continued to listen intently as her friend began to explain that she was aggravated by some stuff that had recently occured and had taken it out on her stand and microphone. And so, Kaela already had some ideas about what to do for that. But she just nodded kept quiet. It wouldn't do to ruin a surprise after all. Kaela's hope was that the little surprise would come as a way towards being better friends.

Kaela hadn't expected the reaction that Ax had given her when she had noticed that she had drawn close to her. But after seeing that, Kaela respectfully drew back from Ax and avoided coming near the bird faunus drawing up her legs closer to her. When Kaela heard about friends with no decency and bitches trying to steal said friend, her mind clicked. "Firstly, to answer your question, yes to an extent. I do believe that the actions of your friends reflect upon you. Not that I've had many friends, you're actually the third. But I came from a close-knit community where everyone had to fulfill their role in order for everyone to survive." Kaela said, then held up a finger. "But that matters to an extent, the decision to tolerate it and whether or not it reflects on you is ultimately yours." She thought that some of her trademark bluntness might be in line here. "To bring this a little closer to the issue... Nym's actions may be worrying but the way you went about adressing them was...er not the best. And, I'm going to guess that you haven't talked to Psitti yet, without Nym there having to be shared." She paused and decided to let Ax respond.

Talking

Ax L. Rose
4th Semester

Post by Ax L. Rose » Mon May 21, 2018

It was all smooth sailing. Kaela was being respectful and the first things she opened up with weren't wrong. That said... smooth sailing came to an end when Kaela spoke the words that implied just how much she knew about the situation. Intensity was either on or off, there was no gradual change. It was sudden, sharp. From white to black. She went from some semblance of measured emotion to something... not measured as Kaela talked.

"Nym's actions may be worrying but the way you went about addressing them was...er not the best."

She knew that. Her gauntlet-plated fingers lowered to grip the bed, clenching and digging into the fabric. She fucking knew that, and she'd have been the first to admit it if asked, but the last thing she needed was someone reminding her like they thought she didn't know. What did Kaela take her for? Did she think she was thoughtless? Self-absorbed?

"...And I'm going to guess that you haven't talked to Psitti yet, without Nym there having to be shared."

"Why the fuck would I want to talk to Psitti? What the fuck is there to talk to her about? She's Nym's shitty friend, not mine! And what the fuck is that, 'being shared', what?" Ax narrowed her eyes at Kaela, shaking her head. "Nym's allegedly my best friend, not my personal possession, I don't 'own' her, I don't 'share' her or whatever. Maybe Psitti sees it like she has to share Nym, or some messed up shit like that, but I don't look at Nym like she's mine the way Psitti-fucking-Rouge does!" Ax exclaimed, her voice raised and sharp. She was suspicious now of Kaela's motivations. Did Kaela know Psitti now too? What stupid bullshit did that bird fill this girl's head with? What did this chick think she was going to accomplish by speaking so candidly on this subject with her?

"What do you know? You weren't there, so I wanna know what Nym or who-the-fuck-ever told you. If you're gonna come in here and start talking on the subject like you know about it, then I reserve the right to set the record fucking straight." Ax rose her hand and then pounded it into the side of her own thigh hard enough to leave a bruise (if her aura allowed it) as she made her demand toward Kaela. This was already going... swimmingly.