Scientific Witchery (Private: Bella Aurea Lyncurii)

A place of study, quietly. However some students are known to bust out their board games and comic books while "studying".
Telu Satou
1st Semester
Race: Human
Weapon: Grand Chocolatier & Dame Blanche
Semblance: Vortex

Re: Scientific Witchery (Private: Bella Aurea Lyncurii)

Post by Telu Satou » Fri Apr 20, 2018

Telu's eyes lit up at the idea of taking a fancy noble like Bella to her home. Satou Farms had plenty to be proud of! She was sure even a queen would find something charming about her home! But... maybe she was getting a little ahead of herself. She blinked at the mention of Bella having a handmaiden. Wow, it really was like she was a warrior-princess or something. She wasn't sure how to read Bella's expression at being called as much. Maybe she was flattered? Offended? She hoped the former! She cleared her throat, unconsciously straightening up and trying to appear more civilized and proper as Bella spoke. Telu, of course, had no clue how to emulate actual courtly manners or etiquette; she had a stylized view of it painted by reading too much about royalty from fantasy novels, but it was obvious that Bella's words were having some kind of effect on Telu. She didn't want to seem too plain, because it almost felt like doing so would be disrespectful!

"I... heh, I hope I'm not... being offensive. I don't really know how things are in Atlas but I'd like to not make you feel weird or uncomfortable. I remember feeling really out of my element when my brother and I started attending Signal Academy. It's... hard feeling like the odd one out. Sometimes I still feel that way," Telu said, sympathetic despite Bella expressing no real difficulty. Maybe the comparatively ordinary girl was assuming too much about how Bella felt. Maybe worse, she was projecting some of her own loneliness on the girl.

She seemed very interested as Bella spoke on her family. Telu was already forming an image in her head of what it must have been like! A long line of noble warriors from Atlas... dignified and noble, but in an understated way that demanded no attention from others. Radiating confidence and self-worth! Legatarius also sounded super neat! Maybe it was a time of peace, but the world could always use more huntsmen and huntresses, couldn't it?

"You have a hereditary semblance? Wow, I've never met anyone that had one of those before. That's amazing..." Telu said, awestruck. She blushed visibly as Bella turned it around and invited her to talk about her own family. She wasn't sure her own story was even remotely close to as interesting!

"I... well... if you'd really like to know. It's nothing as cool and interesting as yours. Um... I'm part of the Satou family. My brother and I are attending Beacon and we're, as far as I know, the first in our line to pursue a martial career. I don't know our full genealogy, but Vale natives are proud of our willingness to defend our homes and our territory. Still, we... we're a humble family. My great grandfather founded the farm we live on now. When he passed away, he left it to my grandfather and ever since, Satou farms has been a family-owned business. My father made our farm more successful than it'd ever been before because he... he married my mom - she's a scientist - and they worked on a project where they cloned a rare crop from an ancient, dormant seed. If you've ever had a Skyfruit before... then you've bought from our farm before. We're the only farm in the world that can produce the crop. It's a family secret," she paused, feeling a bit silly with how she'd gone about explaining her family. She'd managed to say very little about their ethics and how proud she was to be a Satou. Instead she'd made it sound a bit cynical, like a business.

"...we are a family that likes to stay in touch with our roots. Connections with nature and other people. Felix - my brother - and I are twins. Someday one of us will probably go back to manage the farm and carry on the business, but for now we want to give back to the world that raised us another way," Telu continued. Yeah, that sounded a little better, right?

"But um... yeah. We produce a lot of very treasured artisan goods that are sold globally. We're renowned for quality rather than quantity. Maybe um... maybe you and the Lyncurii have had some of what we make before. That'd be kind of neat, wouldn't it?" She managed a faint smile, hoping that was the case. It'd make her feel less totally out of her element with this fancy and beautiful girl that would otherwise completely overshadow her!
Idle (Maroma Samsa) - / Combat (Meatball Submarine) - / Main (UFO) -
Sticks and stones won't break our bones...
As long as you have me.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bella Aurea Lyncurii
1st Semester
Weapon: Werrae
Semblance: Legatarius

Post by Bella Aurea Lyncurii » Fri Apr 20, 2018

"No, you're not being offensive at all", Bella reassured, reaching across the table to place a comforting hand on Telu's. "Nor are you making me feel weird, I promise. You have been nothing short of splendid company", she finished, pulling her hand back to her side of the table. Lacing her fingers back together, she resumed listening with rapt attention.

"Yes, my semblance is hereditary", she affirmed in the brief downtime in their conversation. Telu's blushing hadn't escaped Bella's notice, but she refrained from inquiring about the matter. It was an easy thing to assume that Telu wasn't accustomed to talking about herself. Their conversations thus far had gravitated towards books, or Bella herself, and Telu hadn't talked about herself until asked. She likely served as the backboard for people to bounce conversations about themselves off of, and the shy, modest nature only made it worse. It was probably a good thing Bella had encouraged her to talk about herself for a change.

"I think your heritage is plenty interesting", Bella said as Telu finished her story. "I have never been to a farm, and I would be very interested in seeing one, especially if it cultivates a fruit no other farm has. On top of that, the fact that you and your brother came here from such humble beginnings is impressive. It shows that you shouldn't underestimate anyone, and that everybody has potential to achieve something they put their mind to. In my mind, that is more impressive than being born and raised for it." There was a honesty to Bella's words. She sounded genuine, and not at all as though she was simply attempting to be kind.

"My family places a strong emphasis on staying in touch as well. Family is one of the most important things to us", she continued, her eyes drifting down to look at the table. "We need to know about our family in order to make full use of our semblance, which is why it's so extensively documented. Even if it wasn't, I doubt it would change much. My father, my mother, and even my grandfather have all been passionate about having and taking care of a family. My brothers are as well, and I..." She paused. "You can see that I am very much the same way. It's something I hope to continue later down the line when I have my own family", she elaborated, looking back up to meet Telu's gaze again.

"It sounds like your family has many similarities to mine. The desire to give back to the world, family being important... I'll have to contact my father, and ask him if we have ever had anything with Skyfruit. If we have, especially if it's any of my favourite dishes, I will certainly want to visit the place it was grown!"

Telu Satou
1st Semester

Post by Telu Satou » Sat Apr 21, 2018

Telu seemed to relax a little at Bella's assurance that she wasn't doing anything wrong. It made sense! Bella seemed too charming and reasonable to hold people to unrealistic standards, right? Expecting a farm girl like herself to know much of anything about etiquette would have been silly, and Bella definitely didn't strike Telu as silly. She glowed even further at the assurance that she'd been splendid company. She'd been trying! She didn't want to be lame or anything in front of the closest equivalent she'd ever encountered to a warrior-princess from a fantasy novel. The smile that Telu gave in response to all these assurances - personal and familiar - was small but earnest and warm.

"I... heh, I don't know about anything about my life would necessarily be more impressive than yours. Maybe which one is more impressive isn't the point though," she shrugged her shoulders, eyes averting for a short moment before she looked back, the same smile on her lips. "I'm... surprised. Like, in a good way! Just... you know. Family is important, and I guess being from the rural parts of the agricultural district led me to assume that people in cities and stuff don't really stick together the same way. Maybe it was a little presumptuous of me..." She said with a small shrug, her eyes downturned for a short moment as she made that admission. Her bright sea green eyes flicked back up to Bella as she nodded along, eager to hear if the Lyncurii family might have been customers! It'd have been a really fun connection in her mind. The idea of supplying goods fit for a warrior-princess was definitely an appealing one!

"I know what kind of image comes to people's minds when I say 'farm', but Satou Farms isn't like the typical image," Telu spoke on, eager to make Bella aware that her home was indeed awesome and worth coming to see one day.

"People love to imagine huge fields of wheat or corn or whatever, but since we specialize in artisan goods we have smaller fields but much more diverse projects. There's lots of work to be done every day there, and some of it is more critical thinking rather than simple chores... but that keeps in interesting! It makes it a... much more interesting place to tour someone through than the usual place I'd like to think too. My mom grows crystals - not dust crystals - just... you know synthetic emeralds, diamonds and stuff. We have lightning catchers and she charges batteries with them during storms. There's beehives on the farm for harvesting honey during the fall, and my dad raises pigs but we don't sell meat - he trains them to sniff up truffles! Truffles and truffle oil for gourmet cooking recipes sells a lot better than bacon! We... we don't actually slaughter animals at all. My dad likes to raise ducks instead of chickens, because the eggs sell well and so does the mayonnaise that we make from them. He raises goats and makes goat cheese instead of normal cow cheese. He ages it in the cellar in a separate space from the wine casks... ah, sorry if I'm kind of running away with this. It's just... we do a lot back home! Calling it a farm almost feels like an oversimplification!" She chimed, clearly tickled pink that she even still had Bella's attention.

"And I mean, we don't sell meat because... I guess we grow too attached to the animals we raise. We don't necessarily have anything against meat. Well, the rest of my family doesn't anyway. I... the only meat I really like is fish meat. Other kinds of meat have a texture and taste that really isn't for me," Telu continued to chatter away. One might've gotten the impression that the shorter girl was trying to impress Bella... and they'd have been right.

"Have you ever gone fishing before? There's some rivers down by our farm I liked to fish in often, and my dad has crab pots down at the beach for catching shellfish and stuff. In practice we ah, collect junk too, but we have recycling machines that can make use of the junk too!"
As long as you have me.

Bella Aurea Lyncurii
1st Semester

Post by Bella Aurea Lyncurii » Wed Apr 25, 2018

Bella nodded thoughtfully at Telu's uncertainty of her life being more impressive than Bella's.

"You're right, it isn't about whose is more impressive", she mused aloud, her hands opening up in a thoughtful gesture. "In the end, what's impressive is subjective. Things are often impressive or interesting because we haven't experienced them before, which is most certainly the case here. I have never lived on a farm, and you have not been around the high society life. Because of that, we're like to think more highly of the other than our own. Case in point, me thinking that your upbringing on a farm and making it here is more impressive, while you think that growing up and being groomed for this is interesting." She paused. "They are both interesting for their own reasons."

The noble girl fell silent at Telu's assessment of families like Bella's. She quietly cleared her throat, shifting in her seat. Bella's movements didn't suggest that she was uncomfortable, but rather than she was thinking about things. There was a pause in the conversation, Bella taking a deep breath before sighing sadly. When she spoke again, her voice was quiet, her intonation gloomy. It didn't seem as though Bella wasn't willing to speak on the topic, but more that Telu's ruminations may have been closer to the truth than she thought.

"You are not entirely wrong", she clarified almost reluctantly, pausing in her statements again to visibly contemplate her next words. "A lot of families don't. Some own corporate businesses, and there's schisms between one generation to the next about how things should be run. High society has its own category of economics and politics, and as a result, all of the shady affairs and backstabbing that comes with it. You'll meet somebody you know is out to get you at a gala, but you need to smile and make kind with them, and treat it more as a game of chess than a war. Not all families are like that, of course, and most certainly not mine, but a fair few of them are..."

Bella's voice trailed of, implying she had seen her fair share of these goings-on during her time in Atlas. Having let her gaze stray and her body slouch during her own story, she focused and fixated it back on Telu again as the story of her farm began. There was an immediate shift in Bella's bearing, her vibrant smile returning, her body rising and locking back into that confident position. These tales of Telu's family and her home were rapidly growing on her. She would listen to them for eternity if she were given the given the choice, but another part of her argued for the side of hearing them gradually over time. After all, it was often best to enjoy a book in chunks, so why would it be any different for stories told verbally?

The girl's eyes lit up at the extravagant explanations of everything Telu's family had on her farm. Her mind filled in the blanks—a cave filled with glittering crystals of all shapes, sizes, and colours, more breathtaking and beautiful than even the most lavish of Atlas's attractions. Bees flitting and gliding by, gathering pollen for their hives to make syrupy, golden honey the likes which Bella had never tasted. Truffles, Skyfruit, eggs, cheese, wine, all used together to make a dish that would put the gourmet chefs of the classiest restaurants to shame and make them envious. Bella was leaning over the table now without realising it, completely enraptured by the tales and the web of her own imagination.

"I think it's good that you don't slaughter the pigs", Bella stated. "Truffles are a rarity and a delicacy, so I personally believe that they would be better for business as well. I am even partial to seafood myself, so you and I are one and the same in those regards", she reassured, another lull happening in the conversation as Bella's thumbs rubbed together. "Do your pigs have names?" she asked curiously, waiting with bated breath for an answer. At Telu's next question, Bella shook her head.

"I haven't been fishing", she said. "Although I'd be remiss not to say I've always wanted to try. Would you be willing to teach me sometime?"

Telu Satou
1st Semester

Post by Telu Satou » Thu Apr 26, 2018

Telu felt a little embarrassed at the fact that her preconception about families like Bella's had some merit after all. It seemed to make Bella uncomfortable, which was definitely the last thing that Telu wanted to do... even if Bella's words about some of the shadier sides of nobility only further aligned with the dangerous intrigue of the courtly world as was sometimes portrayed in fantasy novels. Fortunately, her chatter of her own family and farm had the desired effect of lightening things up a bit, which was great because she wasn't sure it'd work! She couldn't help but worry and feel a little awkward opening up like this, but the more she went on and held Bella's interest, the easier it got. Especially since it felt like Bella was being such an attentive listener!

"Right, exactly! Happy pigs that find truffles aren't just more practical, but it just feels nicer to not have to shed blood on the farm more than necessary, you know? By nature the farm feels like a place where the focus is life. We're caretakers for nature and mankind, in a way. We help natural patterns and cycles. We take care of crops and animals and... yeah, you get it, heh," she trailed off, starting to worry a little as she got a little more poetic in describing the things she and her family did back home.

She nodded her head enthusiastically at Bella's question about the pigs names.

"Yep! There's a sort of core group of trained truffle-hunters that my dad doesn't want to sell. One of them's named Button, and he's my favorite! Pigs are actually really smart and can recognize humans and pick favorites. Button likes me 'cause I used to bring him steamed broccoli when he was younger. I still do sometimes but even when I don't have treats for him he's super sweet to me. Dad thinks he's just sweet to me 'cause he thinks that it'll get him more treats... and he's right! But I love him because he's clearly very very clever to think that way. They're actually surprisingly clean animals too, they keep their space clean. And when they're happy their little tales wag! They get a little depressed during the winter but they cheer up and get really social and friendly during the spring!" Telu apparently felt very strongly about the pigs on their farm. Common perceptions were always misleading about pigs! People thought of them as dirty and dumb, but that couldn't have been further from the truth. The expression on her lips and in her eyes matched up with Bella's, but she didn't need to think of fantasies. She had memories... happy ones. Ones that threatened to make her very very homesick if she kept this up.

"Truffle hunting is worth a lot more than meat. The costs and time it takes to raise pigs and butcher them makes it tempting for farmers to mistreat them to make ends meet. But we can afford to treat them how they should be treated because... yeah! Like you said, truffles sell really well and they make back their cost really really quickly after they start to deliver. And the truffle oil we make at the farm is a hot commodity. You can really tell the difference between real truffle oil over the fake stuff when you use it for cooking," Telu continued. Around this time, someone somewhere let out a 'Shh!' that prompted Telu to quiet down. Apparently she'd let herself get a little too loud while rambling about home.

"...ah-heh... sorry! Um... yeah. Yeah, I could teach you to fish, I'd love to actually! It's pretty easy to get used to. There are a few different ways to do it. I usually do it the old fashioned way with a fiberglass fishing rod, hook and tackle and stuff. But my dad can catch them in shallow rivers with his bare hands! I've seen him do it, it's crazy. I can't do it without cheating and using my semblance, heh... there's a trick to the way you grab them that I haven't really learned. Oh, and we've bow-hunted fish before too. I'm not super good at it but when we're hunting for fish we intend to eat instead of catching-and-releasing it can be kind of fun," Telu trailed off, looking over at Bella. Even despite being shushed in the midst of all her talking, the smile on her lips remained. Telu seemed excited! It was pretty rare someone was interested in things like this, especially girls. The fact that Telu still thought of Bella as a stylish warrior-princess still was helping matters.

"You'd probably really love it where we live. I'd love to show you it someday! You can meet my brother too, Felix. He's my twin. He has a lucky semblance. You... you'd have to be careful though, he's a charmer. He always had something going on with the other girls back home and when we were student at Signal. Not in a bad way, he's not like... a heartbreaker. But he does have a way of getting into trouble with girls," Telu spoke on. She didn't want to get ahead of herself... but home was only a short trip away, really. She could show Bella sometime! It'd be easy. She'd just need to secure a weekend where studies didn't keep either of them on school grounds. It was spring, after all. There'd be plenty to see!
Last edited by Telu Satou on Mon May 21, 2018, edited 1 time in total.
As long as you have me.

Bella Aurea Lyncurii
1st Semester

Post by Bella Aurea Lyncurii » Thu May 17, 2018

"I agree that no bloodshed is best", Bella replied as Telu spoke further on their decision to not slaughter the pigs. "There's enough of that in Remnant already. My family is well aware of that, and I'm positive they would approve of your policy as well", she concluded. It was true: having a family lineage that extended well before the Great War, there was no doubt that the grueling tales of conflict were abundant in her family. After all, they were the self-proclaimed peacekeepers for Atlas and all of Solitas. It was their home, had been for generations, and would continue for generations yet to come if Bella and her family had anything to say about it.

"Button", Bella echoed with a quiet giggle of amusement, carrying the conversation along on a more lighthearted topic. Simply repeating the name should have been enough to hint at how cute the girl thought it was. "He must indeed be very intelligent to know what he'll receive if he performs certain actions. I'll admit, I was always one who thought they were messy because of the idiom about things being a pig sty. I suppose it doesn't hold any real merit though, does it?" she inquired. Whether or not certain phrases were true or not was beyond Bella. There were some she herself could attest were true, but there were just as many she couldn't. Things involving the cleanliness of animals, or even their habits, were among those she couldn't. Her family didn't even own any animals. If anyone was qualified to say whether or not this particular one was true, it was Telu.

Bella's attention was briefly caught as the unknown person in the distance hushed Telu. Even she hadn't realised they were presumably being so loud, and though Bella had the instinct to defend what they were doing, she didn't act. It wasn't uncommon for some people to start talking too loud without even noticing, so she was willing to give the benefit of the doubt this time. She turned back to Telu after the cursory interruption, her head zoning in about halfway through Telu explaining truffles and their profit. There was a brief twinge of guilt at having the better half of her explanation fall on deaf ears, but circling back around to it would likely only serve to detail the girl's train of thought.

"I don't think I would want to catch a fish with my bare hands", Bella admitted, her brow knitting as her face scrunched up. "I might be able to use a bow, but I would probably rather use a standard pole. I would only want to do it for recreation", she elaborated, palms opening, hands making a noncommittal gesture as she explained. "I think I would love it where you live, too. I think it would certainly be interesting." She paused as Telu explained her twin brother, and the reputation he had with the ladies. The statement caused Bella to roll her eyes and shake her head.

"It won't be a problem", she said confidently. "It's going to take more than some shallow flattery and pretty words to impress me. You don't have anything to worry about, unless he's the kind of person who mopes after being turned down", Bella continued, her certainty as adamant as anything else she had said before. She wasn't about to let herself be drawn in by a sweet talking playboy with some accidental luck. After all, luck was all it was, not skill. There was a difference in being skilled in appealing to women, and simply lucking into making them start to like you. That was the real divide that would spare her.