today talks of tragedy [private]

Back of the school is a large garden surrounded by hedges and a large pond with open paths. This area of the school is for you to chat with other characters casually, discuss your school work, practice your technique without fear of running into creatures of Grimm, and to meet new people.
Holly Cavell
1st Semester
Race: Faunus
Weapon: Encore (and technically Nightingale)
Semblance: Empath

Post by Holly Cavell » Tue May 15, 2018

The day was too nice to play sad songs, but if there was one thing Holly excelled at above all else, it was playing sad songs at the drop of a hat. So there she was, sitting beneath a tree in the garden, playing sad music. Maybe she wasn’t able to accept that it was a nice a day, nice days didn’t exist when it was always raining in your mind. Maybe she just felt like being angsty. Maybe she just wanted to write sad music. After all, it was what she did best.

Her tattered, spiral bound black notebook sat on the ground in front her, her messy handwriting coating the pages in pencil lyrics. She never wrote in pen, she didn’t want to risk having to cross something out. She liked to entertain the fantasy that someday her name would be up in lights, and her songs would be heard around the world. That people would be begging to see the original version of lyrics to her top hit singles. If that were ever to happen, she wouldn’t want to show them pages of crossed out marks and splotches of ink. She’d want to show them something more clean and put together, as thought she could do it all on the first try.

Encore rested on her lap, her fingers jumping out the fret board as she strummed, while also leaning over to read the words she’d written on crumpled, water warped pages. The old notebook had been with her since she first crafted her guitar, it had been a gift from Amber. She hadn’t touched it until after her girlfriend had died, but now, in the short time since her death, it had been filled with page upon page of song lyrics. All scrawled aggressively, eagerly, onto the paper. The very lines that formed the words held passion, as she often wrote songs whenever she was particularly upset or afraid. Because of this, it wasn’t that hard to read the bold marks from where she sat. Despite the book being on the ground, not the best angle for reading and playing at the same time, she had little trouble reading along with the lyrics as she sang them out.

“Can you hear it
The tempest in my mind
Can you feel it
The chain that wraps and winds
Arounds my heart
I can’t breathe
All those times they rip me from my crime
Why can’t they see
That we weren’t lying...”
It was one of her older songs, written about her parents’ hatred for her relationship with Amber. Most of her songs were about Amber. What else was there to sing about? The brunette consumed all her waking thoughts. Her dreams, too, were filled with green eyes and butterfly wings. It was hard to not write songs about something she could never stop thinking about.

“Clouds ache
For every soul that’s ever felt this kind of
When hearts break
And the only thing that’s left seems to be rain

There’s rain, to share
There’s rain, to spare
Clouds ache
Thunder breaks...”
She had dreamed the chorus of Clouds Ache a while back, not long after the assault that lead to Amber’s death. She had been laying in the grass with the butterfly faunus, who had pointed to a cloud and said that one looks like it’s in pain. Do you think clouds ever ache the way we get headaches? Of course, then the dream had dissolved into something more akin to a nightmare, full of bloodshed and screaming. But when she had awoken, all Holly could think about was clouds ache. She had begun writing the chorus right then and there.

“With no street lights
The shadows keep us quiet
And every night
We start to open doors
And break down walls
Let them fall
Brick by brick we’ll take them all down
Won’t let this love stay, a ghost town...”
Just as she was about to launch into the second chorus, a leaf fell from the tree above her. It, with amazing accuracy, landed directly over her guitar strings, causing her hand to slip.

“Why...?” Holly sighed, annoyed, as she removed the leaf from her guitar and picked up the song again, starting with the second chorus. She was aware that people might be watching, but she tried to push her concerns away. If she wanted to ever make it anywhere in the music industry, she’d had to get over her fear of playing in public.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OOC Note: All original songs by Holly are genuine original songs, please don't steal them
all my flowers grew back as thorns/ windows boarded up after the storm

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Lavay
4th Semester
Race: Human
Weapon: Ruin (Left) and Restoration (Right)
Semblance: Adrenaline Rush (Unending Fury)

Re: today talks of tragedy [private]

Post by Jim Lavay » Tue May 15, 2018

"Hell ya!" Were the first words that left Jim's mouth as he exited one of the school buildings. Now that he had been around for a while the curriculum mostly consisted of live training, missions, and essentially on the job practice. All of which he usually excelled at especially when compared to his rather lack luster classroom performance. So, days like today where he only had the one class already had him in a rather good mood. However, when you couple it with the fact that it was an absolutely gorgeous day out and his afternoon training session had been rescheduled. There was pretty much nothing in the world that would get his spirits down. Then again aside from the occasional moment he seemed to almost always carry this attitude with him.

So, after a quick pit stop to his dorm room to take off the worst outfit in the world, also known as, his school uniform Jim made his way back out into the gardens. He was now in a fairly plain outfit consisting of shorts and t-shirt. Of course, money war one reason from the plain attire, but he honestly never gave fashion much of a thought despite his teammate Sierra's dismay. Given that he was such a creature of habit it also wasn't much a surprise the he left without a plan of what to do with his day. 'Can't do anything indoors it's too nice, I'm too broke to really do anything in vale, I could work out but I'm kinda sore...' His mind would continue to peruse over the options as he just sort of aimlessly wandered about the campus.

This was until Jim happened upon a girl with turquoise hair playing a song. There was something familiar about her, but he just couldn't place it in that moment. Instead the thought that started to fill his mind was a sort of lighthearted jealousy at how many musically talented people there were around. 'Darn, I've really gotta learn how to play something...' He started to chuckle to himself as he was prepared to walk right by her and continue about his day. Though he couldn't help but to take one more glance over her way for as sad as the music was she was clearly talented.

This time as Jim peered over he saw the girl currently fighting with a leaf, and he remembered where he had heard the description of her. It was one of the girls that his sister had taken out to dinner. Something that he was still salty about not getting an invitation. That said, as they chat all the time Cassandra told him about the creepy spider face girl, the heiress, and then about a rather brave Faunus with turquoise hair.

Of course, despite not always having the best tact in the world Jim knew better than to just launch into all that. So instead he simply slowed his pace and turned towards her chuckling. "Damn leaves, want me to beat up the tree for ya." It was horribly corny, but it was the only intro he could think of on the spot. Hopefully, his laughter would reveal that even he knew how bad it was. "Anyway, I think I've heard about you... umm..." Looking over to the side for the life of him he couldn't remember her name. So, after a few seconds he ended up revealing his hand anyway. "...I think you met my sister Cassandra. She spoke highly of you, though she didn't mention that you were a musician too. That's pretty awesome!" His words like always were spoken from a genuine capacity as he really did admire talented people.
Personal Motto: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and nothing can kill me.
Favorite Quote: Maximum Effort!

Talking: ----- Thinking:

Jim's Theme Song : Indestructible : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A3c2RKTJ4I

Holly Cavell
1st Semester

Post by Holly Cavell » Thu May 17, 2018

Holly ceased her playing at the sound of a voice, snapping her head up to find its source. Her eyes landed on a brown haired male a few feet away. How long had he been listening? What had he thought of her playing? Why was he listening to her in the first place? Holly had to remind herself that this was the reason she’d been forcing herself to play outside more often; she needed to get used to other people hearing her play. Her racing mind finally caught up to what it was he had said, she hastened out a reply before the wait got any longer. Surely, it had been much too long, it was just awkward now, wasn’t it?

“Nnn-n-no, no, I- I’m good, th-thanks,” she stuttered. Of course of course of course she had to have-- in her opinion-- not only a much too delayed response, but also a barely coherent, incredibly awkward one at that. Had it been any other situation, she probably would have just left, but since she was sitting with an electric guitar on her lap, leaving wasn’t really an option. Instead, Holly awkwardly cast her gaze to just about anything besides the boy. She had barely been able to come out here and play, even with the plan of “just play a few songs and leave without talking to anybody.” So she was not at all prepared to have a conversation. She wondered if her panic could be read in her eyes; she hated being caught off guard like this. Of course, it was all on her though, she should have been expecting some type of social interaction while sitting in the middle of a public space.

As the boy mentioned he’d heard of her, her fox ears folded back against her head. She started ask what he meant, before he continued. She relaxed slightly at the mention of the huntress, but her anxiety was still running high. What had she told him? What did he know? How much did Cassandra know? Had Holly ever mentioned the White Fang during the dinner? She couldn’t remember. Shit, what if she had and then Cassandra had told him and then he knew and what if everyone knew and basically everyone knew anyways from that incident a couple months ago and- and- and-

In the split second it took for everything to cycle through her head, Holly had forced a smile and met his offer of a hand shake. Instinctively, the second she made contact with him she activated her semblance. Her didn’t withdraw any emotions from him, nor did she give any of her own, she just held the gateway between the two of them open in the physical contact, reading him. He wasn’t feeling anything hostile, he was... he was happy. Very happy. Relaxed. Selfishly, Holly was tempted to take some of his happy calmness, and discard her own anxieties. But that would be rude, that would be a shitty move on her part. She didn’t take his emotions, dropping her hand quickly before she gave in to her temptations.

“I’m... I’m- uh- she- your sister... Cassandra, she m-must... Must have g-gotten me...um... she must have been... I’m really... I- I’m not that great.” She must have gotten me confused with someone else. A perfectly fine response, witty if one was into self deprecating humor. But the fact that Holly couldn’t say it without forgetting every word in existence only proved its point. How could one be “spoken highly of” if they couldn’t even use words properly?

Holly leaned back against the tree, pulling her guitar across her lap as if to use it as a shield to stand between her and the boy. It wasn’t that she was feeling particularly threatened by him, but it was an unexpected, unprepared for social interaction, and she needed some way to ground herself, some way to stay safe. Having a barrier between her and the boy, whether it be a guitar or the hood of her sweatshirt, provided that safety.

It occured to Holly that maybe she should introduce herself. But then again, if this was Cassandra’s brother, and if Cassandra really had talked about her, then it was probable he already knew her name. She wanted to pretend he did, at least, in order to spare herself the pain of having to introduce herself. Even now, she was still uncertain which name to go by; while most of the people she’d met here at Beacon seemed nice enough to entrust with her real name, there had been a few that had given off just enough bad vibes for her to introduce herself by her girlfriend’s name instead.

Jim Lavay
4th Semester
Race: Human
Weapon: Ruin (Left) and Restoration (Right)
Semblance: Adrenaline Rush (Unending Fury)

Post by Jim Lavay » Wed May 23, 2018

There were a handful of things that Jim was notorious for, both good and bad. On the one hand he had established himself as a hell of a fighter, and on the other he was horrible at reading people. Unfortunately, in this circumstance the latter was going to come into play far more than the former. So, all the while Holly was shifting about and using he guitar as a literal and emotional shield he was honestly none the wiser. At least he wasn't until the girl began to stutter and stammer. In that arena he had some experience between some of his friends and of course his poor cousin that seemingly couldn't go more than two words without stammering when she was flustered.

So with that in mind Jim decided to take a half step back. It didn't create much more physical space between them, however, it did hopefully show that he wasn't planning on totally invading her personal space. As over the last year even he had finally begun to learn a few lessons in self-awareness. "Aw come on now..." He would end up responding now that he had hopefully eased her a bit. Also, he decided to throw in a little humor to continue clearing the air. "...You don't seem like a rude girl with mandibles, nor a girl who would fawn all over my sister just cause she’s a huntress. So, nah... I'm going to assume you're the one that’s hear because you wanted to do it for your friend, Holly." The more he spoke the more he remembered from the conversation from his sister. Though, of course, he also remembered that he had promised to reach out to these students sooner...

Jim decided of course that there was no time like the present and now that he had spilled the beans on the things he knew. Well at least the fuzzy details he now remembered he decided to take another step towards her. "Sorry, I probably shouldn't have said all that, but hey we all have our motivations. The more powerful they are the more focused and the more driven we are..." It was in that moment that his eyes shot opened as he realized that he was jumping into all this with what was essentially a totally stranger and someone who did even know his name.

A nervous giggle would end up escaping his mouth as this realization was written clearly across his face. "I... um... sorry, about that... I uhh, think I may have gotten a little ahead of myself there. You, uh... you don't have to talk about any of that if you do want. As um... a matter a fact how about we actually restart a bit here. Sorry, for being so rude, I'm Jim Lavay by the way." A rare moment of embarrassment for the guy that had practically no shame in sight as he extended a hand towards her after the introduction. He would then attempt to change the conversation not-so-subtly in case Holly indeed did not want to discuss this. "So, um... when did you learn to play the guitar. I have always wanted to learn myself."
Personal Motto: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and nothing can kill me.
Favorite Quote: Maximum Effort!

Talking: ----- Thinking:

Jim's Theme Song : Indestructible : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A3c2RKTJ4I

Holly Cavell
1st Semester

Post by Holly Cavell » Sat May 26, 2018

He knew her name. Holly wasn’t sure if she should be wary or relieved. On the one hand, that meant she didn’t have to introduce herself. But on the other, he knew her name. She tried to hold onto the fact that he had said he was Cassandra’s brother, but her paranoid side was saying he was lying. The number of warning bells going off in her head were too many to count; her fox ears had returned to laying flat back against her head; her grip on the neck of her guitar tightened. He knew her name. He knew her name. He knew her name. He could have gotten that information from anywhere! Maybe he had been in the restaurant with them during the time of the dinner. What if he had what if he had done so on purpose what if he was following her what if he was the one? She knew they were there, a person, a stalker, she didn’t know what to call them. But they were there. She could feel it. Always watching, always following. Maybe that was this man. But no, that was too ridiculous, she was overthinking, she was being absurd. She needed to calm down.

Holly forced herself to breathe properly, trying to get herself to calm down. It was only then that she had realized fully what he had said. You wanted to do it for your friend. She wanted to correct him. She wanted to correct him so badly, but she didn’t know if she could do that. She didn’t know how he would react. Her parents had been less than pleased with her and Amber, who was to say this man was any different? But she couldn’t just shut up about it, it would be dishonoring her girlfriend; being too ashamed or scared to talk about her was an insult to everything the butterfly faunus was.

“Girlfriend.” The word felt stiff on Holly’s tongue as she spoke it. Forcing itself from between her lips harshly, like it couldn’t contain itself, like it needed to be said. “Amber was my girlfriend.” She continued to look up at the brunet, her mind whirring with all the possible ways this encounter could go wrong. He could easily just be trying to trick her, he could easily just jump her-- they were alone, currently, yes? Her eyes skimmed quickly around the surrounding area of the garden. Yes, they were alone. Of course they were alone. That would make everything easier for him. Maybe he didn’t have any plans of attacking her, maybe he really was Cassandra’s brother, maybe--

“No- I- um... it’s fine...I... um...” she stuttered at his apology. He said his name was Jim Lavay, she relaxed slightly once more. Maybe he really was Cassandra’s sister. Of course the name Jim was way too common, way too simple. He could have easily just picked a random name and stuck it in front of Cassandra’s last name. But... why would he do that? Holly, being about as subtle as an elephant in a library, examined Jim’s features. She could see the resemblance between him and the red headed huntress, so perhaps they really were related.

“Oh, I’m uh... I g-got my first guitar when... when I was 12...” Holly said, grateful for the change of subject, especially a change to something she would be happy to talk about. “My- my parents weren’t... weren’t all that happy with it though... they wouldn’t- wouldn’t get me lessons or- or anything. I had to... had to l-learn by- um... had to teach myself...” she said, subconsciously pulling her guitar closer to her. “I- um... if you’re looking to learn... you could probably... probably find some videos online. T-that’s what... that’s what I did...”

Holly twisted a strand of hair around her finger, gazing intently at it while she talked, as though it were the most interesting thing in the world. She was still trying to make herself okay with the social interaction; it wasn’t working very well, she still felt tense and surprised. Unprepared. She hoped that maybe after giving some advice on playing guitar-- if you could even call the two sentences that had taken way too much effort to say advice-- Jim would leave. But he didn’t seem to be leaving. She untwisted her hair from around her finger, dropping it before running a hand through her hair. She felt the resistance of her leather gloves through her hair, wincing as a strand was pulled out. She discarded it to the ground, used to shedding hair often. She glanced back over at Jim, internally begging that he would just turn around, for whatever reason, and walk off. Maybe then she would be able to breathe. Breathe- breathing was important, she had to remember to breathe. In...and out. In... and out. Just breathe, and everything would work out, everything would be fine, right?